View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Installing 944 quarter panels on a 924??? 
Rookie Driver

Hi guys,

I will convert our 924 race car to a 944. Everything is pretty straightforward (front fenders, bumper cover...). My only question is the rear quarter panels.

Can I use the outer skin of a 944 quater panel and use it on a 924?

Or I am better off using the GT Racing rear fender flares?

I already have the 944 quater panels in hand and I was about to prepare them to be welded on the the 924, but before I do that, I just want to make sure I'm not doing something silly.

Thanks

c.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:39 am
Rookie Driver

I can't say which way is easier, I have only done flares. It's a lot of work either way since you need to cut and rebuild the inner fenders. If the 944 fenders have not been removed I would cut the inner fender out with it and splice it in instead trying to build my own inner fender. The joint in the middle of the inner fender is in the same spot on a 944 and 924.

One advantage that I have found is that the fiberglass is flexible if it is bolted on. I've had similar accidents with a 944 and a flared 924 and would say it is alot easier to repair the 924.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:50 pm
Rookie Driver

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. I have the complete quarter panels in hand. So Maybe I could use them without destroying the inner fenders... It just look more difficult to replace an entire quarter (unsoldering the spotwelds - I bought the tool to do it...). I don't exactly know where to start to cut them off.

Maybe I should have the body shop guy come in and advise me before I send it to him for paint.

c.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:11 pm
Rookie Driver

Image of a naked 924 quarter panel

Attachments:
quarter.jpg
quarter.jpg [ 33.56 KiB | Viewed 2910 times ]
Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]