View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 1:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Newbie seeks advice.. 
Rookie Driver

hey guys,

I'm hoping to build or buy a race car this years and want to run some good club racing. The 944 cup sounds like a fun competition but I had some questions. I am not sure what car to buy although I think it will either be a 944 or E30.

If anyone can help me with some info I'd be very appreciative:

1. I'm in Florida.. should I be buying/building a 944 or a 944 Turbo? What's the turnout like for both? I really want to race not lap alone but I would presume the extra bhp on the turbo's make it a whole lot extra fun? I'd love to do spec miata for the field sizes but I'd like a larger car with more room inside hence Im thinking 944.

2. Building one: I know the turbo's have the LSD standard correct? Do the 8 valve 944's run with the lsd added on? Also, might be a stupid question, but if I buy a 944 can I add a factory/equiv turbo to go into super cup instead?

any info greatly appreciated!

Carl

Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:59 pm

MrGoodsize wrote:
hey guys,

I'm hoping to build or buy a race car this years and want to run some good club racing. The 944 cup sounds like a fun competition but I had some questions. I am not sure what car to buy although I think it will either be a 944 or E30.

If anyone can help me with some info I'd be very appreciative:

1. I'm in Florida.. should I be buying/building a 944 or a 944 Turbo? What's the turnout like for both? I really want to race not lap alone but I would presume the extra bhp on the turbo's make it a whole lot extra fun? I'd love to do spec miata for the field sizes but I'd like a larger car with more room inside hence Im thinking 944.

2. Building one: I know the turbo's have the LSD standard correct? Do the 8 valve 944's run with the lsd added on? Also, might be a stupid question, but if I buy a 944 can I add a factory/equiv turbo to go into super cup instead?

any info greatly appreciated!

Carl

Drivers can all have different reasons why they race what they race. You can have fun in either Cup or Super Cup. If top speed matters to you most, then the turbo may work for you. If having more cars to race, then the Cup class is the ticket, at least to date. But easy to see for yourself by looking at results for this year and last.

For both the 8v and the turbo, the lsd tranny was an option from the factory. And in this series, the turbo must be stock.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:53 pm
Driver

coming from experience cup is the class to run. I run in cup part time and race for a team in a 750-1000 hp (depending on race or practice motor) 2600 lb car and i have just as much or more racing cup. honestly its not the crazy speed on the straights that's fun its keeping your foot in it side by side through the sweeping corner and praying the other guy lifts (if your racing dave he wont lift trust me). also i highly recommend buying a car after having built my own. The build honestly costs you more money there's no other way to put it. also it takes a couple seasons once you have built it to get all the bugs out (expect a lot of dnf's) if you buy one someone already went through the headache for you. also one last thing don't go and think you need crazy suspension to be competitive honestly a 944 spec suspension works amazing that's what i have and i believe nationals has been won on that setup.

Attachments:
281424_10150748601545285_708525284_19869443_5610267_n.jpg
281424_10150748601545285_708525284_19869443_5610267_n.jpg [ 45.55 KiB | Viewed 4035 times ]
Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:11 am
Rookie Driver

thanks guys i really appreciate your advice, I will check field sizes here in FL. Do most 8v guys run the lsd or not? Also, man, what the heck do you drive thats 750-1000 bhp at 2600lbs and can i have a go?!

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:44 am
Driver

haha honestly ive only driven with the 750 hp motor in it so far. Its power is incredible and honestly a handful to get the power down but i can make it happen, it just suffers in the slow corners at like thunderbolt where you cant get on throttle when you want because if boost kicks in you cant stop the tires from spinning. this weekend is the season opener but the race motor is getting saved for one shake down weekend at pocono and the national championships.

Attachments:
Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:41 am
Driver

defiantly find yourself an lsd they were an option in the n/a car thats how i got mine, just stole it from my street car. i dropped 2 seconds with a worn out 180k mile one and once i had it race rebuilt last year by guard transmission it made me a top runner dropped another 3 secs id guess and really made the car more stable.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:46 am
Rookie Driver

Carl, I have two cars for sale. Current National Champion and runner up cars. Turn-key, all the goodies, go win tomorrow! Call me at 828-698-0698

Joe

Eurotechnik/Spoiled Boys Racing #72
2011 Cup National Champion
2010 Cup 2nd Place, Southeast Champion
2009 Cup 2nd Place
2008 Supercup National Champion

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:38 pm
Driver

The old adage applies here: how fast you want to go is directly proportionate to what you spend.
I run in SuperCup and prefer it to Cup, although the downside is that the fields are much smaller. We're off the front and I like the performance better. The Cup guys race much harder, I'll tell you that. Forget Spec Miata; way too slow, I've run that too. Turbo is high maintenance, I like the S2 tradeoff.
As far as Cup, there are a few top flight cars up for grabs right now, that's the way to go. Never build your own, you have enough to do just campaigning. Come race with us!

SuperCup #57, National Champion 2011 and 2012
www.frankcelenza.com/racing.php

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Driver

Carl, buy one of Joe's two cars, save a lot of time and in the long run money. Just get in and drive a proven winner. You can then focus on your skills and race craft. If I was getting in now I would jump on one of these cars.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:41 am
Driver

if you have the scratch either of those cars are the ones to get there both top notch and stupid fast.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next