View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Group Buy (ACTIVE): Stage 8 locking CV bolts, Round 2 
Rookie Driver

Back by popular demand!
We are pleased to announce that Stage8 has extended the 25% discount pricing with no minimums on the participant list! They were so stoked at the huge participation of the first round group buy (110 orders, not counting extras!!!) that they have extended the special group buy pricing to our second round, which will run from now through 15 April 2010. In addition, I have gotten Stage8 to pony up for TWO ADDITIONAL sets of 944 locking bolts to contribute to the 944 Cup series.

Pricing
MSRP = $106 per set of 24 bolts, clips & retainers
Group Buy discount = 25% off MSRP
Group Buy Price = $79.50
Shipping*: US = $6; Canada = $12.45; ROW = $14.45
*Note: Shipping is via USPS priority mail small flat rate box. We can fit up to two full sets in one box; add'l quantities will result in slightly higher shipping costs.

Ordering
I have set up a special application guide and group buy ordering page on my website:
To order => http://garage.ideola.com/prod-Stage8-GB.html
Please order through this page if possible. Otherwise, send me a PM with the details of your order and I will invoice you via paypal.

Specifications
• Bolts Are Aircraft Quality Grade 12.9 – 4130 Alloy Steel
• Retainers are 5052-H32 Polished Aluminum
• Snap Rings & Clips Are Spring Steel

Background & Product Details
For those that missed the first round, here is a repeat of the details. I worked with Stage8 to develop a locking CV bolt kit for the entire range of 924-944-968 cars. After the first round, we now can offer applications for the entire range of 914, 911, and 928!

The 924-944-968 application utilize twenty-four M8x48 cheesehead bolts to attach the half shafts at the transaxle stub axles and the outer hubs (six bolts per CV joint). As many of you know, the cheese head bolts are a royal PITA to deal with and will strip out if you're not careful. And for track driven cars, there have been multiple reports of the bolts backing out mid-session with catastrophic results. Many guys are safety wiring their bolts, and this was the approach I was planning to take on my UWB project until a 924board member mentioned Stage8 (for a header bolt application).

The Stage8 system utilizes their patented "GrooveLok" bolt, which has a 12-point head and a special groove in the head. Once the fastener is torqued down, any number of clip shapes are available, which lock onto the 12-point bolt head, and are then retained using either an E-clip or snap ring. Here are some photos using the samples they sent to me installed on a late offset 944 CV joint, boot, and outer stub axle:

M8x65 GrooveLok bolt (the standard 924-944-968 size would be M8x50)

Teardrop and D-Style clips; snap ring and E-style retainers

D-style clips installed, E-style retainer on left, no retainer on the right (I didn't have a spring plier small enough at home)

Teardrop retainers installed (again, no spring clips, but they would normally have the spring clips installed)

Questions? Interest? Let me know!

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:16 am
Rookie Driver

I received the 20th order last night, so I will be placing the first batch order with Stage8 later this afternoon. Anyone wishing to be included in the first batch order, please get your orders in before 5 PM EDT today.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:29 am
Rookie Driver

First batch has been ordered; we currently have 13 sets toward a second batch order...

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:16 pm
Rookie Driver

We're up to 18 orders for the 2nd batch order in round 2. I'm going to place the 2nd batch order tomorrow, so anybody wanting in on this batch, please get your orders in by 5 PM EDT tomorrow. Thanks!

Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:25 am
Rookie Driver

UPDATE:
Spoke with Stage8 on Friday. Batch 1 may ship to me by the end of this week, Batch 2 probably not until the end of next week at the soonest.

There's still time to get in on this...original closing date was thru Tax Day...we'll go ahead and extend it thru the weekend: Sunday 18 Apr 2010.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:31 am
Rookie Driver

72 hours left in the group buy. Batch 3 orders will be placed with Stage8 on Monday, so please get your orders in no later than 11 AM EDT Monday 19 April.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:14 am
Rookie Driver

Last chance! Group buy closes in 28 hours (11 AM EDT Monday 19 Apr 2010).

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:19 am
Rookie Driver

I sent this email to everybody today, but posting here just to cover all the bases...

##################################

I spoke with Stage8 last night regarding the status of shipping on the various batch orders. For some reason, they delayed shipping batch 1 and pulled forward the production run of the batch 2 and batch 3 orders. They committed to me that the entire order (batches 1, 2 & 3) will be shipped to me all at once by the end of this week.

I don't know why they did it this way, as I specifically discussed with them at the outset breaking the orders into smaller batches so that early participants wouldn't have to wait for the entire run in order to get their parts. They arbitrarily decided to do the production all at once, which means that those of you in Batch 1 won't be getting your orders any sooner than anybody else.

I'm not real happy about this, and will have to think about how to manage the next round (if there is one). BUT, the good news is that everything should be on its way from California by the end of the week, and I should be able to begin packaging and shipping next week. I will do my best to get everything repackaged and shipped out to you all within 24-48 hours of receiving the bulk shipment from Stage8.

I apologize for the delay, I wish there was something I could do to get the parts here faster. The only consolation I can offer at this point is that it's not unusual to encounter these types of production and logistical issues when commissioning a completely new product (there were 5 new applications in this round of the group buy). I hope you feel as I do that the results will be worth the wait.

Once I start shipping your individual orders, you should each be getting an email notification from either PayPal or the USPS with the tracking number for your shipment, so please be on the lookout for that. I think I have requested address confirmations from all of you, but it doesn't hurt to remind you that I rely heavily on your PayPal address being correct for shipping. PLEASE double check that your PayPal shipping info is current and up to date!!!

I will send out another update as soon as I know the bulk shipment is on its way from California. In the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. Thanks again for your enthusiastic participation! It has been exciting to see the response to this group buy. If there are other new product or NLA parts you would like assistance with, don't hesitate to ask...I'm always up for a new challenge!

Also just a quick reminder that we're offering 10% off all Tools, Kingsborne Wire Sets, and Classic 9 appearance products through 15 May 2010.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]