View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
early/late offset front suspension components 
Rookie Driver

hi everyone. My team and I have a 944 that we're buiding for LeMons and I'm

hoping to get some confirmation on a suspension design we've cobbled together.

First is is prudent to note that we have several cars of varying years that we are using to assemble 1 or 2 serviceable vehicles

The primary platform is a late offset 1987 944
for the front suspension, we have done the following and the geometry appears to work:
* struts from 1983 944, with the angled strut top taken from the 1987 strut (which seems to be necessary for the altered late offset geometry)
* spindle, rotor, caliper from the 1983 944
* flexible brake lines from the 1987 944 (which i assume may be longer due to offset)
* late offset alum a-arms, steering rack, and sway bar assembly from the 87

again we have pretty much a cornucopia of parts, but have been mixing and matching to get the best (e.g. the '83 brake system is new, '83 struts are new, the 87 were blown)

despite alum a-arm balljoint and the '83 spindle weakness concerns, is this
combo workable from a geometry standpoint? (it all bolts up)
if you had it all available, would you choose something different for your front suspension dream team?
-Mike

Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:56 pm

I didnt think the tie rod ends would fit with that mix of parts, but if it bolts up, run it. I would prefer the steel boxed early control arms vs the aluminum arms because they are more reliable and significantly less expense to repair or replace.

cup944@aol.com

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:24 am
Rookie Driver

Off the top of my head, if you use an early spindle/rotor you're going to have to use early-offset wheels. I imagine you'll have fender clearance issues to worry about. And other handling oddities I'm sure. What camber to you get? And what do you do with the rear? Put early wheels there, too to keep the track similar front/rear?

I'd go early arms, late spindle/hub, early rotor, and modify the lower strut mount to get camber right.

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]