View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Small mishap at The Glen back in Late May 
Rookie Driver

After pondering this for a bit I've decided best to share with you all and email correspondences I had with DD a few weeks back in hopes that if ever someone was put in this predicament, they would be a little better prepared and won't make the rookie mistake or mistakes I made i.e. unbuckling before putting my hand on the top on the car and landing on my head :oops: with my whole body weight on my neck! Yes it was shore but I'm all good!

Dave,
Thank you for your concern. It wasn't what anybody wants to happen to anyone, including Tyler. What is important is that we
all learn from this and if I can share a few things with all if it ever it happens
(hope of course it never does). 1) Make sure your net is easily removable with a handle or something that can be grabbed and removed quick and easy from inside and out if possible and must be the one of the first thing you do.
2) No time to sulk over the car, just do a quick check of yourself and then get out as quickly as possible(I know they say stay in your car but you're upside down and there are fluids leaking from the front and yes it's most probably coolant but what if it's more? One thing good was that this happened 3 laps in and the traffic was light so no one was right behind us to add more complications to a very quickly deteriorating situation. It wouldn't have been fun to get hit by another car while I'm upside down on the track(off line thank God). And finally
3) put one hand on the top of the car before you unbuckle your belts because if you don't you will land on your head with a thump! Depending on your weight, that thump
can turn into a crack, which we all know is not good! This
can save you a lot of anguish.... All simple but extremely vital.

I don't know if you agree with some, all or not but I wouldn't mind your input and then maybe a small memo

John: You raise several good points on what to do after a roll over. Would
be good if u can share on our forum in yur own words. I am concerned also
with the long term effect this incident will have upon our long term
relationship with pca. They have expressed concerns to me about the rough
driving of the Cup drivers and whether Cup should continue to be allowed us to
drive with pca, i.e. afforded a split start. Dave Derecola National Director
944 Cup
:|

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:01 pm
Driver

John,

Good info and things to ponder. Thanks for sharing.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:09 am
Driver

Rolling over is the most disorienting event a racing driver can experience. Most will find it difficult to follow a gameplan after rolling over...but here it goes:

1. NEVER release the belts until you are sure of a couple of things. Make sure you are not injured, (that your neck is ok). It is best to wait for a turn worker to help you out. NEVER get out of the car during a race until an E truck arrives to protect you from being hit by another car. ( fire being the only exception here...)
2. I have not met many drivers that can do a one armed push-up. The best technique is to grasp the bottom of the steering wheel with your dominant hand while pressing your thighs on either side of your hand. Release the buckle and tuck your chin into your chest. The goal is to lower your shoulders and upper back onto the roof.
3. If you are exiting solo, try to go out the side that is facing away from the racetrack, keep the car between you and the racing surface at all times. Make sure you turned off the master power if possible and then get behind any available barrier.

Greg F.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]