View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Lindsey motor mounts? 
Rookie Driver

Anyone have any feedback on the 2 piece semi-solid that they sell vs a regular mount? I dont want to go full solid.

Thanks!

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:18 am
Rookie Driver

I switched from full solid engine and trans to semi-solid trans and passenger side engine so I can't comment on the difference between full solid and semi engine mounts alone. But the change smoothed things out a bit in general, no problems with installation and the engine mount has lasted about 10 races so far without issues.

Steve

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:35 am
Rookie Driver

Thanks for the info Steve. Anyone else try these?

Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:20 pm
Rookie Driver

I realize we are all confronted with many decisions and differing perspectives / goals when constructing our vehicles, but wondered why you would want to avoid solid mounts.

While my initial experience with solid bolted engine and trans was back in the early 80s in Winston Cup Modifieds series, I've used solid engine mounts in Porsche race cars for about the last 3 years with no problem.

Regarding the Lindsey mounts: Originally I used their solid mounts about 4 years ago and sheared off both of them. Obviously not very good to happen. They redesigned them and I've since used them (with a much higher HP motor) with no problems at all for about 3 years. During this time I've had several "notable excursions" with no trouble (thankfully). I should note I have not solid bolted in the trans (yet), as I fear the flex in the chassis (despite extensive cage, etc.) with no flexibility in the engine/drive train/trans system may not be a good thing. Then again, it may help to improve overall rigidity (or... I may find the new weakest link...).

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:13 pm
Rookie Driver

Based on the feedback that I have found, the solids work fine but lead to other problems because of the added vibration to other components. If you disagree, I am all ears?
In doing a cost-benefit analysis, the advantage that they may pose is not worth the long term potential problems. The semi solids seem to offer the stiffness of a solid mount with the vibration damping to avoid other issues. I had not even thought about the rigidity causing a problem with off course excursions. I still have not pulled the trigger on any of these but need to do so very soon.

Thanks for the info!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]