View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
WARNING - defective brake lines! 
Rookie Driver

I recently bought a set of Apex steel braided brake lines (http://www.apexbrakes.com) from Rennsport Auto Parts via an Ebay auction [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190343192615"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190343192615[/url]

Last weekend, they were installed on an 1984 944 NA running in the 24 Hours of Lemons. At the six hour mark, both front brake lines failed catastrophically under heavy braking prior to the Karussel turn. Both lines blew out of their crimp fittings simultaneously while the car was travelling about 80 mph at the end of a straightaway. The rear brakes continued to work for just long enough for the driver to throw the car into the banking then out--spinning to a stop short of the wall.

I know nothing about the manufacturer or vendor. They claim that the lines meet DOT and SAE standards. I don't know of any other cases where this has happened. I can only write about our experience and let you draw your own conclusions before using this brand of brake line on your car.

Pictures of the brakes lines:

Steve Randolph

Last edited by SteveR on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:08 pm
Rookie Driver

Checking the website and Google search can't find a 'real' address or any information for Apex Brakes. Only email address and the (pretty poor) website. NOT a good sign.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:58 am
Rookie Driver

Someone on Rennlist mentioned that both front brake lines would have had to fail instantaneously as the pressure would have dropped immediately once the first failed. That makes sense. It's possible that one line was coincidently pulled out when the tow truck ignored our tow hook and gaffed both A-arms instead, but there's no way to know for sure. There is a tear in the plastic coating on the line that has a rough look and hard bend at the separated end. The other line is cleanly shaped on the end and looks like the hose just slipped out of the crimp. The line that is "clean" also doesn't appear to have any trauma anywhere on the plastic coating. I would think that there would be a leverage point of some kind evident on the line if it were pulled out. But, we can't be sure. Doesn't seem likely. During the heat of the moment, our focus was on sourcing replacements and getting the car back on track, so we might have missed some forensic research that would be valuable now.

Steve

Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]