View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Group Buy (ACTIVE): Stage 8 locking CV bolts, Round 3 
Rookie Driver

Back by popular demand!
The BMW boys are hounding me now, and I've gotten some more inquiries from 911 and 944 guys, so we're bringing the group buy back. Also, Stage8 is discontinuing their drop ship program, so moving forward, we'll only be able to get these on a group buy.

For those that missed it the first two times around, the group buy pricing provides you with a whopping 25% discount off of MSRP. We need to have a minimum of 10 orders to proceed. NOTE: These items are NOT in stock at my house(!) OR at Stage8, they are BUILT TO ORDER. I will be placing orders in batches as they come in. Once I have enough orders to place a batch, you can expect a minimum of 3 weeks lead time for production, shipping (from Cali to me), and distribution (from me to you). The group buy will run from now through the end of September.

Pricing
MSRP = $106 per set of 24 bolts, clips & retainers
Group Buy discount = 25% off MSRP
Group Buy Price = $79.50
Shipping*: US = $6; Canada = $12.45; ROW = $14.45
*Note: Shipping is via USPS priority mail small flat rate box. We can fit up to two full sets in one box; add'l quantities will result in slightly higher shipping costs.

Ordering
I have set up a special application guide and group buy ordering page on my website:
To order => http://garage.ideola.com/prod-Stage8-GB.html
Please order through this page if possible. Otherwise, send me a PM with the details of your order and I will invoice you via paypal.

Specifications
[list=][*]Bolts Are Aircraft Quality Grade 12.9 – 4130 Alloy Steel
[*]Retainers are 5052-H32 Polished Aluminum
[*]Snap Rings & Clips Are Spring Steel[/list]

Background & Product Details
For those that missed the first two rounds, here is a repeat of the details. I worked with Stage8 to develop a locking CV bolt kit for the entire range of 924-944-968 cars. After the first round, we now can offer applications for the entire range of 914, 911, and 928!

The 924-944-968 application utilize twenty-four M8x48 cheesehead bolts to attach the half shafts at the transaxle stub axles and the outer hubs (six bolts per CV joint). As many of you know, the cheese head bolts are a royal PITA to deal with and will strip out if you're not careful. And for track driven cars, there have been multiple reports of the bolts backing out mid-session with catastrophic results. Many guys are safety wiring their bolts, and this was the approach I was planning to take on my UWB project until a 924board member mentioned Stage8 (for a header bolt application).

The Stage8 system utilizes their patented "GrooveLok" bolt, which has a 12-point head and a special groove in the head. Once the fastener is torqued down, any number of clip shapes are available, which lock onto the 12-point bolt head, and are then retained using either an E-clip or snap ring. Here are some photos using the samples they sent to me installed on a late offset 944 CV joint, boot, and outer stub axle:

M8x65 GrooveLok bolt (the standard 924-944-968 size would be M8x50)

Teardrop and D-Style clips; snap ring and E-style retainers

D-style clips installed, E-style retainer on left, no retainer on the right (I didn't have a spring plier small enough at home)

Teardrop retainers installed (again, no spring clips, but they would normally have the spring clips installed)

Questions? Interest? Let me know!

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:00 pm
Rookie Driver

We're up to about 10-11 orders, need about 15-16 to hit minimum for first batch...

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:01 pm
Rookie Driver

I have just received order #15, so I have enough orders to go through with the initial batch order for this round of the group buy. I will leave this "batch" open until 11 AM EDT tomorrow morning (24 Aug), so if you want to get your bolts sooner rather than later, now is the time to act. Any orders received after 11 AM EDT tomorrow will be put toward the next batch. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:46 pm
Rookie Driver

1 hour till cutoff for this batch order!

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:09 am
Rookie Driver

Quick update: I spoke with Stage8 today, and they have completed production of the bolts and retainers. They are working on all of the packaging this week and told me expect the shipment to depart California sometime later this week. I will update back here as soon as the shipment has arrived in MI. Once they have arrived at my house, I should be able to get them labeled and shipped to each individual within 24-48 hours.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]