View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The " Clash " at the Glen. 
Rookie Driver

Well, it was a bittersweet weekend for our team- we had a third place car- but will have to do something about the rear tires to run at the front. It's obvious that a 25lb weight advantage with the small 225/45 rears was not going to cut it. We will have to reconsider our tire options, for sure.
Worse- we got sent home after the first sprint race on Sat. morning for what was deemed " at fault contact " that saw Randy and another Cup driver attempt to occupy the same turn in entry at the bus stop. Whose fault was it- who knows ? Have you ever heard any racer admit fault to anything ? The frustrating part was that that the PCA power to be seemed to need a fall person and there was no further discussion or even a joint meeting with the 2 drivers to try and sort it out. It was simply- your left front hit his right rear- and you go home now- so we did. In all my years of racing and being involved in the sport I have never witnessed such a debacle and unfair treatment of a competitor- ever. I can't begin to explain how upset we were.
We will be at the Mosport Nascar weekend as planned - but anything that is PCA sanctioned is not up for discussion at this point.
The " Clash " at the Glen. The phrase might get the adrenelin going - and you can be the biggest wanker idiot on the track- but don't touch anyone !

Tue May 31, 2011 8:14 am
Driver

I hear and feel for ya, MadMax. PCA can be like that. I've seen them send guys home when the mechanics fail to secure their hood. They're a bit overly strict, to say the least. I've run with other clubs that do all they can to get you back on the track, PCA is like the opposite.

SuperCup #57, National Champion 2011 and 2012
www.frankcelenza.com/racing.php

Tue May 31, 2011 8:52 am
Profile WWW

Mad Max: feel your pain. The PCA go home rule is a tough one. Hated to see you and Randy go. A bit much for a first time offender.

As an enforcer of the 13/13 rule in the 944 Cup for many years, the job of sorting out blame is not easy. And usually at least one party involved thinks you are wrong in your decision. PCA is very very serious about discouraging contact. Needs to be considered when ever u plan to pull the trigger. If at all possible, best not to put yurself in a position to allow PCA or any race official to make the decision whether you stay or go for the weekend.

But overall, what a great track and what a great event. Having raced with many clubs and organizations over the years, I appreciate the fine effort made by PCA to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for us to go fast in our race cars.

Maybe most impressive was the size and effort of the volunteers force on hand to make this event happen and run as smooth as I could reasonable expect. And to the corner workers and emgergency personnel and others stationed around the track, maybe the best I've seen in action at a club event.

And while we can all look back and think about what could have been done different, I know I left the Glen on Sunday having thoroughly enoyed the weekend, feeling like I got my monies worth, and knowing I was in good hands from gate to gate.

cup944@aol.com

Tue May 31, 2011 4:50 pm
Driver

+1 on that. Agree with you wholeheartedly, DD.

Tue May 31, 2011 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

Rob and I had a good time and we enjoyed the weekend. I had a scary moment when the axle nut came loose on the first lap of qualifying and sent me into a spin in the left hander before the laces. Only having three brakes working doesn't work well. Thankfully I got it stopped before hitting anything and came in to figure out what was wrong. Without a qualifying time I had to start at the back for Sprint 1. Sprint 2 went much better starting third and I actually managed to lead for a while but a miscalculation on fuel left me with pickup problems on the last couple of laps and I dropped to fourth. Overall happy with my performance and look forward to the next race. It was one of the best supercup races I have had. We were all very close.

Video from Sprint 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx97R1qrKhg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOq1gZ2i5XA

Will post Sprint 2 when I get it finished.

SuperCup #215
1986 Porsche 944 N/A Son Robbie's car
2015 Cup National Champion

Tue May 31, 2011 11:06 pm
Driver

Steve, nothing like a run from the back for a good video!
Looks like you took great care to pass thru.
Can't wait to see Sprint 2.
Good to meet you in the paddock, your car is nicely prepped!

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:44 pm
Profile WWW

TurboPooch wrote:
.............. Sprint 2 went much better starting third and I actually managed to lead for a while but a miscalculation on fuel left me with pickup problems on the last couple of laps and I dropped to fourth. Overall happy with my performance and look forward to the next race. It was one of the best supercup races I have had. We were all very close.

Got to watch Sprint 2 from the Bustop and the SC race was fun to watch. You guys were tight for the entire race. Wonder what happened to you Steve cause it looked you were able to hold off the pursuers by just enough. That may have been the best racing the class has ever seen. Chris may have some pictures of the battle on his camera.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:50 pm
Driver

Sprint 2 was the best race of my life, and I didn't even win it! Great action the whole way, the four of us nose to tail and clean. Loved the competition, guys! Hope it looked good from outside.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Driver

Steve,
waiting patiently for Sprint 2 video.
By the way, what is your video/data system? Really nice.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

Here you go, Frank.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hud9r4uCXA

Part2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZONjcGwxuLo

Video is Chasecam (I had a loose connection) and data is G2X. I need to spend some $$ and get the brake and throttle sensors.

SuperCup #215
1986 Porsche 944 N/A Son Robbie's car
2015 Cup National Champion

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next