View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
adj. sway bar options 
Driver

hey guys im looking for your opinions on swaybars. i saved up enough to purchase a set of adj swaybars for this upcomming season. as or right now i have some set of factory swaybars not m030's. i have an 87 924s rear suspension and a 83 steel front suspension with 30mm torsion bars and 350lb springs with koni yellow's basicly a 944 spec suspension. im in desprate need of some serious swaybars from the pics ive seen, im lifting both inner tires in alot of turns. im considering getting some stiffer springs but im not able to afford coilover helpers in the rear. Thanks for your help guys, Much appreciated.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:04 am
Rookie Driver

I have a front 30mm sway available its not adjustable though will let go cheap! Just bought a Tarett and it is adjustable haven't used it yet, but its very sexy in all its Red anodized glory!

Dave Gibson #52
Cup Mid-Atlantic

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:02 pm
Driver

All of the aftermarket adjustable options are designed for the later aluminum arms. We have made both the Tarrett and the Weltmeister work on early steel arms, but they MUST be reinforced first or the sway bar rips them in half. The easiest solution for the early car is to run the 968 M030 sway bar set. The front is 30mm and only requires the bar, carrier bushings, and the round bracket that holds it to the drop brackets to install. Just ream out the original A arm bushings with a dremel or rotary grinder to fit it on. For the rear use either the 968 19mm 3 hole adjustable unit or the 88 924S M030 20mm non adjustable unit and you will be quite pleased. Just remember to order the matching carrier bushings for the bar diameter.
The Tarrett is the better engineered set up for these cars. Good fit and robust design, just a little heavy compared to the M030 set. Greg F.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

My Tarett bar is married up with the High Strung 44 arms from Andy Pohlman looking forward to getting on track with them in a couple of weeks...that is if it ever stops snowing in Virginia!

Dave Gibson #52
Cup Mid-Atlantic

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:05 pm
Driver

thanks guys im going to look into the sway bar issue some more i saw on pelican they sell weltmeister bars for the early car wasnt sure about it though incase it was a mistake i can have my arms boxed up thats not a problem if thats all it takes to reinforce them. the only reason i havent boxed them is i figured they were a cheap failsafe being 30 bucks for new arms it was better to bend an arm than a strut

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:51 am
Driver

I have used the Weltmeister Front sway bar on my 944 for two years with no problem. It has early boxed steel control Arms. Here are some pics of the setup. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/for-sale-ads-member-to-member-classifieds/497106-fs-new-boxed-early-944-and-951-steel-control-arms.html

Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:32 pm
Driver

hey guys i got my swaybars from pelican because i saw that they had a weltmeister for early cars"which i havent seen before". i got them in this week and went to put them on lastnight and found out they are indeed made specifically for an early car and have special bushings that fit in the chanels in the stamped arms all the mods that are needed is to drill a single bolt hole to mount the arm mount ill take pics when i get it all in. i could use a little more advice on reinforcing the arms id like to keep them how they are just because there soo cheap to replace and i like to think of them as a failsafe id rather them bend instead of transfiring the load to a now weaker more expensive part. what are your thoughts

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:28 am
Driver

I hit the wall at in turn 9 at road Atlanta at 107 MPH and the reinforced (as show in my post above) did bend without destroying the crossmember. I believe that the reinforcement helps to keep the control arm from flexing. If you hit something it is still the weakest link. Some people have suggested that the area around the front bushing should be reinforced to prevent cracking, although I haven't seen this happen.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:41 am
Driver

thanks for the advice after looking at it it looks like i wont have to worry about the strut soo much. i actually bought a car for parts that i found out later was previously a pretty regular pca track car from finding remnance of old bolt in cage points and it has profesionally boxed a arms on it ill just steal if there in good shape. i actually lucked out after cracking my block testing at summit last season before the ne season started i pulled the motor from the parts car to find it had a junk built head but the botom end was profesionally rebuilt and other than new rod bearings is untouched still this season. you gota love suprises

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]