View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Head gasket? 
Driver

hey guys quick opinion needed. at nationals i blew my first head gasket pretty bad, the gasket seemed to split the sealing ring on atleast 2 cyl's. I replaced it with the only spare i had which was an extra thick gasket for a head that has been milled too far basically giving back any hp edge having an 88 block gave me. i had no problems the rest of the nationals weekend. I noticed some bad pitting on the head but not on the sealing area, to be safe i bought another used head and rebuilt it for this season. I had in the old head, a steam vent in the rear and am also installing one in the new head. my main question is, what are your opinions on wide fire vs oem head gaskets? Ive heard good and bad things

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:47 am
Driver

I am pretty sure the only OE style gasket available anymore is the wide ring or 951 gasket. It sure sounds like you are getting some severe detonation to pop a gasket like that. They will hold for a 951 with half again the cylinder pressures involved. I have tried several brands of head gaskets, the Cometic MLS gaskets seem to be promising but they have been problematic as far as coolant leaks around the perimeter. The advantage of the Cometic is they will make any thickness desired and are re-useable. Greg

Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Driver

Ive checked the wide fire looks to have a wider sealing ring but Ive heard you actually get better sealing with the oem ring width that's why im confused. I honestly cant remember but the gasket that blew may have been re installed and not new. it was the first race with that motor and not a planned engine change aka spun rod bearing on the other engine. It was junkyard fresh with a quick rod bearing swap, and a previously installed gasket it wasn't run for more than a few minutes but i know there only supposed to be squished once." i don't believe it was a detonation problem the plugs and pistons look a nice healthy brown/tan.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:10 am
Driver

The factory gaskets will not seal after they have been crushed once. Probably nothing to worry about as far as the operation of your engine if the gasket was used. Greg F.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]