View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Adding rear coilovers 
Rookie Driver

So I'm planning to change the entire struts and spring to a different coilover set up and as for the rears, I still have the factory torsion bar in there. Now, my question is, I like to add a rear coilover set up. What are the pros and cons on keeping the stock torsion bar in there and if there are any benefits of taking it out? If I were to keep the stock torsion bars, of course I will be using a lighter springs. I like to keep the stock torsion bars as I just want to go through the trouble of taking it out.

If anyone have experience on this type of setup, please help me with some info on should I keep it in there or just take it out.

BTW, this is the set up I'm looking to get. It's Ground Control set up with top mount camber plates. This set up should be legal if I were to run in the SP2 class?

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=762/CA=219

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:02 am

Yes, that set up is legal for the Cup class/SP2.

I have seen cars do good with and without the rear torsion bars. Deleting the torsion bars does make it easier to change spring rates in the rear.

mug23 wrote:
So I'm planning to change the entire struts and spring to a different coilover set up and as for the rears, I still have the factory torsion bar in there. Now, my question is, I like to add a rear coilover set up. What are the pros and cons on keeping the stock torsion bar in there and if there are any benefits of taking it out? If I were to keep the stock torsion bars, of course I will be using a lighter springs. I like to keep the stock torsion bars as I just want to go through the trouble of taking it out.

If anyone have experience on this type of setup, please help me with some info on should I keep it in there or just take it out.

BTW, this is the set up I'm looking to get. It's Ground Control set up with top mount camber plates. This set up should be legal if I were to run in the SP2 class?

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=762/CA=219

cup944@aol.com

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:29 am
Rookie Driver

The rear shock mounts would be strong enough to do just rear coilover and torsion bar delete?

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:22 am
Driver

Ive heard of and have witnessed the rear lower bolt on the swing arm snap when people have done away with the torsion bars and honestly i think that's best case scenario . It was never designed to take even close to that level of stress, however i know it can and has been done successfully but most cars reinforced it. It just is depressing to watch someone go home early because of an expensive special order bolt snaps and they cant source another one, i wouldn't risk it.

Thu May 03, 2012 12:13 pm
Driver

These are the only answer that I know of that have not broken. Many 944 race cars have used these for many years.
http://www.racersedge-inc.com/racersedg ... id=11.3.11

Thu May 03, 2012 2:28 pm
Rookie Driver

What spring rate are you guys running on the rear coilovers without the torsion bar?

Mon May 07, 2012 1:20 pm
Driver

Ive actually seen that bolt break also haha Ryoji a few years ago broke it at watkins glen.

Tue May 15, 2012 11:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]