View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Exaust out the Breather 
Driver

Hey guys over the weekend i took the cup car to njmp to get it all shook down the first time this year. I went out in practice and about 5 laps in i noticed smoke coming from the front right under hard braking, i just installed new front rotors and pads so figured it was a coating burning off or something so gave it another lap or so and decided to pull in. The car seemed under powered but i had no one to gauge it off of and i had been racing super unlimited recently so my sense of speed is off. My car has the emissions equipment removed and a breather hose and catch can installed. i found that there really wasn't much in the way of oil in the catch can but when i revved it exhaust was coming out the breather. The only things that were don't to the motor from last year was rod bearing on the #2 rod and i replaced the head with one i got off ebay with turbo springs already installed (the head was in good shape but was not just rebuilt just cleaned up). I did a compression test at the track and the #4 cyl is down almost 80 psi from the others. (In case it matters this motor i ran at nationals last year its bone stock pulled from an 88 924s with 80k on the clock, nothing other than rod bearings and a different head have been done to this motor) Is this bad rings or could it be the head? does anyone have any ideas or a course of action to diagnose this before i go and just pull the motor.

Tue May 29, 2012 7:39 am
Driver

hey guys some more info to see if anyone else had this problem. i pulled the motor and head last night, and too my surprise the #4 cyl was totally fine no scoring or anything and the head looked good as well. i poured fuel into the cyls to see if i had any rings leaking bad and it held fuel for a really long time and the bad #4 cyl wasn't even the first to empty. So now im kind of stumped, im going to pull the pan to give it a look around tonight but not expecting anything. also tonight ill pull the valve springs on #4 intake and exhaust and see if i have any bad valve guides and check the condition of the seals. Its a really weird problem especially with how bad the car sounded last time i started it i was expecting a totally blown cyl. Any ideas or even shots in the dark?

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:35 am
Driver

so pulled the pan everything looked fine in there, decided to pull the #4 piston and found a hairline crack in it. so im hoping thats the only problem, now to try and find a single 88 high compression piston haha. also discovered that the #2 rod bearing started to fail. it only had a session on it total. my hope is that the exaust in the oilpan messed up the oiling and caused the problem.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]