View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Exhaust Recommendations 
Rookie Driver

Hello all!

I am slowing preparing my '87 n/a '44 to run in the cup class once I am ready and have a racing license, etc.....
I am looking to purchase a whole exhaust system and I have been looking at Lindsey, Broadfoot and Racer's Edge.

What exhaust system, from the headers back to the muffler, is recommended or is being used and would provide any kind of HP gain and weight loss (however small)? What advantage do the MSDS headers provide?

FYI:
-my current exhaust has a leak
-I hear that the aftermarket headers and mufflers are lighter
-I plan on combining the exhaust with a chip for what little HP gains I will receive
-I have already factored in the price of this endeavor into my planned expenses

Thanks,
JOSH

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:02 am
Rookie Driver

Josh, MSDS, Bursch (I think that's how its spelled) are somewhat common and are decent headers. I have a 2 1/2 inch pipe back to a Borla circle track muffler. Some guys run no muffler and some use 3" pipe back. Personally I don't think you need three inch unless you run a 2.7 or a Super Cup Car...just my opinion others will weigh in. I have a Bursch laying around that I will let go cheap if you are interested.

Dave Gibson #52
Cup Mid-Atlantic

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:34 pm
Rookie Driver

Thanks for the info Dave. What exactly do you have laying around? Just the Bursch headers? How used?

JOSH

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Rookie Driver

I agree the MSDS headers are decent(what I run) and I have no experience with the bursch. The best is Stahl but they are pricey. 2.5" pipe and use the smallest muffler you can live with, you want to keep a little back pressure for torque.
Call Karl (Racer's Edge) and get his opinion and I think Lindsey still sponsors the series.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:18 pm
Rookie Driver

Thanks Chris! I actually tried calling both of those places but it was too late in the day. So MSDS headers into a 2.5" pipe seems the consensus.

What exactly should I look for in regards to the muffler? The "smallest" being the lightest one possible? I see that the B&B muffler is expensive and then everyone calls it junk. Borla seems popular but then I have seen the MagnaFlow mufflers being used the most.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:16 pm
Rookie Driver

If there are any 944 cup racers in the Philadelphia area, I know Fabspeed is looking to develop a 944 N/A racing exhaust system.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:14 pm
Driver

I only speak SuperCup, but my car has a Stahl header and the stock exhaust to which I have a quick change muffler, I can remove the Thrush muffler and replace it with a 3" straight pipe in minutes. Not sure which puts out better, if either, but I run the muffler because I've had a few noise issues with the straight pipe (with SCCA and at Lime Rock) and I'm told that a little back pressure is desirable anyway.

SuperCup #57, National Champion 2011 and 2012
www.frankcelenza.com/racing.php

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Driver

Im from right outside philly and have been in contact with fabspeed ( My best friend is one of their welders) but so far no N/A exaust. On my car i bought a set of used long tube headers off ebay and wrapped them, then goes into a straight 3in exaust with only 2 45degree bends honestly you can make yourself up an exuast for these cars super easy and fast. to be honest i never saw much of a diffrence between the factory steel tube headers on the late model cars vs. my long tube versions. If it works out with Fabspeed ill have all kinds of data for you guys on exausts for the car.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:07 am
Driver

if you want to get it cheap i would probably be willing to sell you my whole system (you will be the loudest thing at the track) also have for sale a header back custom borla system i pulled off my old daily and have the factory steel tube headers for more torque to go with it for sale
just a tip Dont worry about weight so much with building your car. I went crazy even torching the undercoating off my car and now im stuck putting over 100lbs in the pasengers footwell and making it not possible to have a codrivers seat for ride alongs on track days.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]