View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
early to late dme conversion 
Driver

hey guys i have a weird dilemma i currently run an 83 car with an 87 motor and 83 ecu and electronics, i have an 89 2.7L in great mechanical condition sitting infront of my house that i plan on stripping and running for nationals next year however id like to upgrade to the 89 wiring and ecu now. is it possible to just plug and play everything but the afm or does that only work on the late 2.5 engines? the reason i want to do the swap is that i have an early ecu with a bmw board spliced in to allow it to be chipped and i plan on having my car dyno tuned at the track as its never been tuned before and am scared of having a splice go bad and costing me a race when i know my daily driver has been spot on till the alarm system fried.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:18 am
Rookie Driver

Hey John, the 2.7 and 2.5 are two different beasts. I run a 2.7 in my car and also ran an early 2.5 one year after I blew a hole in the side of the 2.7. The 2.5 and the 2.7 have different harnesses, different DME's, different AFMs, the intake manifolds are different, and I'm sure there's more. I have different components for each motor set aside. Most of the 2.5 stuff in interchangable up and down through the years. I'd be afraid you'll just have a Frankencar if you try to run the 2.7 bits with the 2.5 motor. If you're afraid of your current DME failing, just buy a late model 2.5 one for about $100-$150. I'm sure Big Joe or somebody else (even Ebay) can hook you up.

#88 1989 944 NA
Tales from the Dark Side of Racing

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:53 am
Profile WWW
Driver

thanks Chris i appreciate it!

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]