View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
DePowering a Steering Rack 
Rookie Driver

Does anyone here have any experience with depowering a steering rack by packing the rack with grease or leaving the ATF fluid in there? and either capping the holes or connecting them for recirculation?

I am slowly turning my '87 into a cup car and want to tackle this project this winter.

I have been DEing the car without the p/s belt for the last two years and enjoy it and I don't have any issues with slow-speed parking.

Any info would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Josh

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:48 pm

jvns1022 wrote:
Does anyone here have any experience with depowering a steering rack by packing the rack with grease or leaving the ATF fluid in there? and either capping the holes or connecting them for recirculation?

Thanks,
Josh

Used the recirculating option for years but finally switched to a manual rack which was easier to drive.

cup944@aol.com

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:23 am
Rookie Driver

Thanks Dave! So, a recirculating rack with ATF? What did you use for the recirculating line and connections? Did you have to do anything else to the rack?

JOSH

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:18 am

jvns1022 wrote:
Thanks Dave! So, a recirculating rack with ATF? What did you use for the recirculating line and connections? Did you have to do anything else to the rack?

JOSH

We actually didn't do anything, the car came that way. The guy before did all the plumbing. Looked like he used as much existing parts as possible. I didnt pay close attention. Never had a problem with it, but it was more work driving that way than with a manual rack.

cup944@aol.com

Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:09 pm
Rookie Driver

Thanks Dave!

Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]