View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Rookie here, wanting to ask some basic questions :) 
Rookie Driver

HI Everyone

I am very interested in becoming part of the series, spent years doing DE events as well as Time Attack etc.
My question in in regards to car prep. What is needed to make a stock 944 turbo into a decent competitor
other then talent :D. I know that is a vauge question but would it be suffice to strip the car add suspension
brakes and a cage. Is there major things that are a must? I read through the rule book and it looks a little daunting in regards to engine builds etc. Any help you can give would be great.

Cheers
John

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:43 am
Rookie Driver

Fubawu wrote:
What is needed to make a stock 944 turbo into a decent competitor

Oh boy, This answer can be all over the place and has a bunch of "IFS" attached to it.

First off, IF you can't do your own wrenching, trouble shooting, tuning, etc. you need a suitcase full of money to pay someone else to do your maintenance just like you would with any race car.

IF you can do these things, you need to decide on how descent of a competitor you want to be. IF you want to merely be repectable, a good suspension upgrade, motor rebuild and tune will give you a good solid car. IF you want to win, take your car and suitcase of money and let Karl or Ernie build you a car.

As an example: my car is a self-built racecar with rebuilt stock koni suspension components and stock 968 clubsport swaybars, a well built engine, and meticulous maintenance by me. In 5 years of racing, it has not finished 3 races due to mechanical issues. But it has been well developed over ten years on the track and I am tuned in with the car pretty well. I am not the fastest car or driver but do pretty well and I'm ok with that because to go faster would require too much investment in fancy upgrades and time on my part.....neither of which present themselves in abundance.

My advice.....sell the turbo and buy a well sorted N/A race car. You will have a ball driving it.

SuperCup #215
1986 Porsche 944 N/A Son Robbie's car
2015 Cup National Champion

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:25 pm
Rookie Driver

Thanks for the info, I can do basic work on the car. Engine rebuilds are out of my scope though.
I think entering the NA cup side would be the smarter way to go. Eitherway nothing can be done
on the cheap. I know that is arealitive term in racing!

Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:01 pm
Driver

Not usually a good idea to take on your own build. Either buy a developed or semi-developed legal car.
Best bet for now is to spectate the first race that you can and have a look for yourself.
It's a great, fantastic series, check it out.

SuperCup #57, National Champion 2011 and 2012
www.frankcelenza.com/racing.php

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]