View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Adding Second Oil Cooler 
Driver

I just purchased a SETRAB oil cooler fan pack and will be mounting it this weekend.

I currently have one oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator and have decided to just add the second oil cooler for additional cooling capacity.

I intend to mount the second oil cooler near the left front wheel well.

I intend to have the HOT oil go thru the cooler in front of the radiator first then the second oil cooler and then return to the engine.

I can control all fans ( 2 on radiator and 1 on 2nd Oil Cooler) with manual switches.

How does this plan sound?

Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:06 am
Rookie Driver

Sounds fine. I'm curious. Have you checked the oil temp? Into and/or out of the oil cooler(s)?

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:53 am
Driver

I always use the RF area where the stock windshield washer tank used to live. Shorter hoses and better weight distribution than mounting on drivers side. Greg F.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
Driver

The biggest unused area was drivers side in front of tire. I mounted the cooler below the horizontal sheet metal panel, hole sawed openings up top for hose connectors clearance. Looks real clean. Unit only weighs about 5 pounds and it's low. Mounted relay on frame rail. Will switch on cooler fan using second radiator fan switch.

I know oil in pan will get to 240F real fast if I push it 100% and would continue to climb if I really pushed it. I will measure temps exiting sandwich plate at filter, exiting first cooler and exiting second cooler (with and without fan running) next time at track.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:42 pm
Driver

Use of Koul Tools to assemble that SS Braided Hoses and AN Fittings made the job a breeze. Otherwise I would still be fighting the SS wire threads and rubber hoses:)

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:10 am
Driver

Completed installation of transaxle cooler and tested it this past weekend at Road Atlanta. Air Temps in high 80's. Before transaxle temp would peg-out the temp gauge with max limit at 260F. This past weekend during race the transaxle would run 240F and by the end of the cool down lap it would be around 220F.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]