View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Seat mounting for tall drivers 
Rookie Driver

New to the board here. I am toward the end of a 944 cup/SP1 build up and have run in to what I'd call a safety issue between my race seat and roll cage. I am 6'4" and most of my height is in my torso so I am sitting high in my seat. The rear of my race seat is as low as it can get to the floor. The front seat mount is set slightly higher resulting in about 15-20 degrees of rake. I have tried moving the front down to be level with the back but then it feels like I am driving a Quaker church pew - no support or comfort at all. The seat (with built in halo ) and "L-shaped" mounts are Racetech. Sitting in my seat in its present mounting configuration my helmet is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch above my main hoop - not safe/good/legal. The hoop is up as far as it can go to have allowed for a 360 deg welded joint.

I tried searching the forum for tall driver seat mounting/modification and did not find any postings on this subject. Any body have any counsel on this besides getting a car with more head room? Is there any precendent on the part of the sanctioning body on a case by case basis to allow modification of the floor pan to accomdate a tall driver?

Thanks in advance!

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:56 am

Is yur seat mounted direct to floor w/o rails or w/0 mounts?

cup944@aol.com

Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:09 am
Rookie Driver

Dave,

I am not using sliders, and can confirm, too, that the seat is not bolted directly to the floor. At present the seat is mounted utilizing Racetech aluminum "L"-shaped side mount brackets. The bottom of the "L" is bolted to the floor pan, the seat is mounted from the side to these brackets. I hope this answers what you were asking!

Thanks!

Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:36 am
Driver

It is a common practice, ( Spec Miata...) to weld a "pan" into the floor to gain headroom. I have built several cars for drivers that were 6'7" or even taller that incorporate a lowered floor section. You pretty much just carefully cut out the floor pan under the seat and weld a 1" to 2" strip all the way around and then weld that back into the car. A 944 fits a pretty tall driver, but to avoid the full reclining type seat install that runs your thighs into the steering wheel I would suggest you consider this. Greg F

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:40 am
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

Greg,

Many thanks for your reply. In your experience are there guys running in 944 cup racing that have utilized this seat mounting method and if so, what have the scrutineers said about doing this?

Thanks!

Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:49 pm
Rookie Driver

Morning PB,

I am 6'4" tall and race 944 Cup, extract what information you can from this:

Your Racetech seat sounds awsome and halo's do provide a bit more protection, seat mounting and comfort is paramount so I understand your situation very well. I would suggest bolting the front and rear of the seat to the floor, the leveling (church pew) efffect can be resolved with a thigh bolster. Another option is abandon the Recatech mounting brackets, bolt rear of seat to floor, shim (to suit) and thru bolt the front of the seat to the floor also (there is an electrical equipment part called a "1900 blank plate cover w/1/2" KO"), these work great as 4" square plates on the underside to fasten against, available at any hardware store for about a buck. A third option is to use a non aluminum race seat, with this application you can simply use factory rails (add heavier bolts as suplements where able), and remove the butt cushion, you will still have some cushion, be above the floor and will gain about 2" above your head. There are other options I have in mind also if none of the above workout, hope this helps.

Big Joe
944 #08

Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:09 am
Rookie Driver

Big Joe,

Thanks too, for your reply. I will try what you describe above and see if I can get the clearance and comfort I am looking for. You know, when I was shopping for a race seat I went to my race supply vendor's warehouse and actually sat in a bunch of race seats to see how they fit me. The Racetech was the best of the bunch and I actually sat in one that was mounted in a 240z race car. After that it was an easy decision. I am not married to the Racetech seat mounts I just bought in hopes that they would work. I tried removing the seat cushion to get some more "air draft" for my helmeted head relative to the halo portion of my cage, but I didn't realize any appreciable room - probably less than half an inch. The negative dividend too, was that it put a lot of pressure on my rear end. When the front of the seat was pitched up the seat became much more comfortable with the seat back now supporting more of my back - I then had the feeling of being "one with the seat". I realize that I won't be driving this car 14 hours straight to NYC, but my goal is to run some enduro-type races in the future so nominal comfort is important.

I'll head up to my local hardware store and see if I can put my hands on the electrical stuff you mentioned and see if I can get something to work. I have spoken with someone (not running in the 944 Cup) who has done some floorpan surgery to get lower. Is there precedent in the series for tall guys resorting to this so that they are not the high point in the roll cage? I'd like to hear what your other suggestions might be.

Many thanks!

Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:28 pm
Rookie Driver

I am familiar with some aluminum race seats that are flat accross the bottom, this was very uncomfortable for me and setting the lean angle more difficult. Kirkey aluminum seats (avail in diff widths, waist size')are made a bit different in that the seat bottom is welded at "an angle"' in relation to the seat back and the front bottom of the seat angles up again, making your butt the lowest part and providing the lean back feeling and giving some thigh bolster while using a standard aluminum seat cover, the rear bottom would bolt directly to the floor and simply shim the front . I use a Corbeau seat, it works perfect in all aspects. fastens to factory rails, remove primary seat cushion (still very comfortable), still has thigh bolster, gain ample head room, however no halo, and use a seat back brace fastened to roll cage, an off the shelf item.

With regard to floor pan modification to accomodate height, I have personally seen one modified, but do know numerous tall drivers and have not had to modify chassis bottom. I would defer to Dave an or the rule set for that application.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am
Driver

I have not had to do this in a 944 with up to a 6'7" tall driver. I did use a composite seat, not an aluminum one. I have been able to modify OMP side mounts and rails to have the seat still adjust and just clear the floor. I have also done several 951 race cars with the seat bolted to the floor and that has worked very well. Right now the toughest one was a 6'11" former Seattle Super Sonic basketball player that we did the floorpan mod for. There was just no other way to make him safe in the car. The Tech people had no problem with it provided it was done correctly and was at least as strong as the original floor. Greg

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

Big Joe and Greg F,

Thanks for your input. I have driven a caged 944T with a Kirkey and while it wasn't uncomfortable, the Racetech fit me that much better. Who knows, I may yet revert to a Kirkey. I don't want to admit defeat just yet, though. One of the parameters I am having to work within is I am limited by my cage installation. It is certainly a well constructed cage but it has made the mounting of this seat challenging. The cage was to be constructed - I thought (because I was asked to come sit in the seat to see where it should be mounted) around the seat with me in it and well let's just say that that didn't happen. Thus I am exploring what I can do short of buying a new seat or $rapping the cage and starting over. These last two things are not particulary appealing either. Big Joe, how can I PM you?

I am in Phoenix, AZ on business where it was a chilly 107 deg F. Let's see do I go to the Diamondbacks baseball game tonight or go to on of the indoor go-kart tracks? Hmmmm....

Cheers all!

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]