View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Turbo to Cup conversion 
Rookie Driver

I am considering transforming my 86 Turbo into a Cup car and I have a few questions. I read all the applicable rule books and I’m still not sure. So before making the move I’d like to clarify a few things. Here are my questions:

1) what is the maximum size of wheels – width and diameter?
2) Can I use custom wheels instead of Porsche factory wheels?
3) If I change the ring and pinion of my turbo trans for one from an S2, does my trans is Cup legal?
4) Can I have a custom oil cooler for my trans;
5) Can I have a custom engine oil cooler;
6) Do remote reservoir shocks are allowed (I saw motons on a cup car at VIR)?

tx.

c.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:04 am

951Charles wrote:
I am considering transforming my 86 Turbo into a Cup car and I have a few questions. I read all the applicable rule books and I’m still not sure. So before making the move I’d like to clarify a few things. Here are my questions:

tx.

c.

1) what is the maximum size of wheels – width and diameter? Varies depending on car prep level chosen. 8 and 9 for Stock, add an inchfor Prepared.
2) Can I use custom wheels instead of Porsche factory wheels?Yes3) If I change the ring and pinion of my turbo trans for one from an S2, does my trans is Cup legal? Must use a 944 NA tranny but can change R&P if Prepared.
4) Can I have a custom oil cooler for my trans;Yes5) Can I have a custom engine oil cooler;
6) Do remote reservoir shocks are allowed (I saw motons on a cup car at VIR)? Yes

You didnt ask, but let me offer up that you are likely better off selling the Turbo and buy a fully prepped Cup class car for under $7k. You will save yourself a bunch of time and money.

cup944@aol.com

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:30 pm
Driver

Director wrote:
951Charles wrote:

tx.

c.

1) what is the maximum size of wheels – width and diameter? Varies depending on car prep level chosen. 8 and 9 for Stock, add an inchfor Prepared.
2) Can I use custom wheels instead of Porsche factory wheels?Yes3) If I change the ring and pinion of my turbo trans for one from an S2, does my trans is Cup legal? Must use a 944 NA tranny but can change R&P if Prepared.
4) Can I have a custom oil cooler for my trans;Yes5) Can I have a custom engine oil cooler;
6) Do remote reservoir shocks are allowed (I saw motons on a cup car at VIR)? Yes

You didnt ask, but let me offer up that you are likely better off selling the Turbo and buy a fully prepped Cup class car for under $7k. You will save yourself a bunch of time and money.

I'm just adding some info as per the 2010 rules,
1) The wheel diameter is free.
4) 8.1.1 (g) The use of oil coolers is unrestricted providing that the cooler(s) serve no other function than to cool oil.
6) 8.1.3 (d) (d) Any shock absorbers may be used providing that they are mounted in the stock location and serve no other function. Non-stock factory shock housings with potentially adjustable spindle height are allowed if welded in the stock position and hub mounting matches factory dimensions. Shocks are limited to double adjustable settings and may have remote canisters.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:16 pm
Rookie Driver

Well, at first, I thought that buying an already built cup car would be the way to go. But I will not be able to sell my turbo easily and I will not get a third of what I did put in the car. Did I say a third? Not even 25% of what was the cost to build it. Notwithstanding all the efforts.

The car has brand new Penskes, brandnew Racetech viper seat, new wheels, and so on. It does have all the goodies.

If I buy a 944 for 4000$, it gets me the engine, the trans and the brakes. I would change my brand new 17" inches Jongbloed 3 piece wheels for 16 inches (I keep the heart of the wheels, just change the barrels), remove all the turbo stuff (intercooler and all) redo the electricals, change the exhaust system and I'm good to go.

No?

I would also keep my tranny + engine oil coolers.

Thanks for the info guys.

I can't part with this car:

Attachments:
IcarCT.jpg
IcarCT.jpg [ 37.72 KiB | Viewed 3152 times ]
Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]