View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 7:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
944 short shifters 
Driver

Now for the next 944 performance part that bit the dust... 944 short shifter kits for the 016 transmissions. Anyone know where to find them anymore? I have a local racer that would like one and everyone seems to be out of stock. Greg F

Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:48 am
Profile WWW
Driver

Greg, Mantis and Lindsey have different short shift kits.

http://www.mantissport.ca/Products/tabi ... fault.aspx

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Porsche ... 4-SSL.html

Bill

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:41 am
Driver

Thanks Bill, I was looking for the original adjustable unit that used to be sold by GPR. The Lindsey part looks interesting as it solves two problems at once, anybody running one? Greg

Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Driver

We ordered the Vertex "Schnell" shifter to evaluate. $99 but not adjustable as the old style GPR units were. It also appears to be the style where they weld the traverse bracket to the main rod, meaning when the heim joint wears out in 3 or 4 seasons the whole thing has to be tossed. I was able to replace the worn heim on my current unit. Greg

Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

I ran a Schnell shifter for a while and could never get the shift pattern centered correctly. Even at the limit of the slotted adjustability. The hole drilled for the shift rod mount bolt was not in exactly the right place. Heads up.

Steve

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:31 pm
Rookie Driver

I like my OEM sloppy shifter...

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:47 pm
Driver

I like the sloppy stock shifters as well....but thats because I own a repair shop and those things will eventually produce the "money shift" that helps stimulate the racing economy. Greg F.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Driver

So SteveR is exactly right, the inexpensive Scnell shifter has the hole misplaced by a few hundreths of an inch, causing the shifter to be located to the right. Solved by changing out the traverse rod for an adjustable version that allowed me to center the pattern again. Greg F

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

The MantisSport shifter is adjustable, 30% and 50 % reduction in side ways and back and forth. Note extra holes drilled in either arm. also with the cross bar linkage you can adjust your stationary shifter postion, side to side or straight up. The cross bar is much stiffer than the pressed steel porsche piece with the rubber bushing, this pc will not flex, much better shifter feel, the gears just "KLICK" in. NO more mushy ,ify shifter. Heim, if worn out can be replaced with some grinding and welding. The steel used is cold rolled, both arms are thicker than other shifters on and off the market, again stiffer.

MantisSport , shortly will have a DTM style shifter handle available soon. Shifter knob is right by your steering wheel, if rear shifter is set at 50% , shifter knob moves approx 4" from one gear though neutral to the next gear. No more dropping your hand down 5" to reach the shifter,Some drilling and thread tapping , heating needed for installation. Tested at Mid-Ohio, 2 wins in GTS-1. Billet aluminum, CNC. COMING SOON ! 8-) Momo shifter knob not included.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]