View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Brake bias - stock brakes 
Rookie Driver

Given that we can use any non-adjustable brake bias, I'm wondering if this is something I should test. Anyone else care to share their experience?

The NA is factory-biased with smaller rear brake pads and a stepped master cylinder (23mm front piston, 19mm rear piston). Add to that the ability to mix and match pad composition and ride height for an optimum steady-state bias. The 951, 944S, etc., with their larger front brakes, came with a proportioning valve that reduces rear brake pressure 50% above a certain pressure. So, under light or initial braking, the front and rear are equal, but under heavy braking the rear is reduced 50% (actually 46%). The anti-lock systems on NAs also had a proportioning valve installed--I assume so the system relied more heavily on the front brakes during an anti-lock event. With Big Reds up front, I'd want them to do most of the braking. But with stock NA calipers, how much harder do I want the front to work?

There are four valves that I would consider:

5/18 #928.355.305.02
5/33 #951.355.305.01
5/45 #964.355.305.00
5/60 #964.355.305.10

So, does anyone run one of these valves? I want the most effective braking under maximum pedal pressure. So, I'm not sure if it matters which one--no matter which, there's going to be a 50% reduction in rear braking force under maximum braking. I guess the theory would be that I could go to a more aggressive rear pad material and install a valve so that I avoid locking up the rears. I run 275x15 rears and 225/15 fronts. The extra rear rubber helps me avoid that lockup as it is.

Steve

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]