View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
A-Arms 
Rookie Driver

Looking for opinions on the various arms out there from boxed, to High Strung to Racer's Edge. Not really interested in the really high priced stuff like Charley Arms or Fabcar.

Any real world experience/comments appreciated. I have to make a decisions very soon. The car has Racer's edge sphericals and caster blocks.

Thanks!

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:23 am
Driver

Rob I give top marks to the Racer's Edge arms. A meeting of the blue guard rail and our blue car at the Glen reinforced my belief that these arms are supper strong. We bent a front wheel and the bolt at the front of the control arm. The arm and all of its parts including the spherical bearings and bushings are intact and in spec. Pay once and be safe!

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:30 am
Rookie Driver

I broke a Racer's Edge arm and bent a spindle hitting a spun car at VIR Oak Tree. I love the Racer's Edge design, but unless you have access to the machine tools necessary, you have to factor in the cost of machining the spindle to accept the threaded ball joint pins and the future incompatibility of that spindle with any other a-arm. That expense is reasonable if you can run a pin long enough to correct for bump steer. Since we can't, I'm not sure it's justifiable. Still, a great a-arm, though.

I now run the High Strung arms. They're a simple design, beefy, light, and reasonably priced.

Steve

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:32 am
Driver

Steve good point about the threaded pins, but that is one of the reasons that they are so strong. The ball joints of the stock arms have always been the weak link.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:10 pm
Driver

For the early offset cars I give the edge to a set of boxed early steel arms with Moog ball joints. For the late offset cars the stock and replacement ball joints are a PITA. Best to spend the money on a decent replacement. Greg F.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

Thanks for the advice gents, I placed my order. I am not sharing it presently, as I have to keep Comat nervous about all the speed I am going to gain 8-)

Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:04 pm
Driver

Momentum wrote:
Thanks for the advice gents, I placed my order. I am not sharing it presently, as I have to keep Comat nervous about all the speed I am going to gain 8-)

I have my sources, don't you know! :lol: Tyler and I look forward to seeing you and Tony at the PCA Mosport race. I will peek under your car while you are at the S#*@p club. :P

Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:15 pm
Rookie Driver

comatb wrote:
Momentum wrote:

I have my sources, don't you know! :lol: Tyler and I look forward to seeing you and Tony at the PCA Mosport race. I will peek under your car while you are at the S#*@p club. :P

You wont have time to peek, you are going with us to the ballet :twisted:

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]