View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
LSD 
Driver

Post LSD
hey guys had great weekend racing lightning, but came home with a blown out lsd. i just had a junkyard fresh unit in there so no suprise it went. I'm just trying to get an idea of all my options and your opinions on them. Not sure about trying to attempt to rebuild it myself or switch to a qualfe unit or another option. any opinions would be appreciated.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:21 am
Driver

They are simple to rebuild as long as the grooves that retain the ears are in good shape. Be aware that none of the original parts are available anymore, so you will need to use 928 parts. I usually just get new friction disks and a pair of the 2.0mm shims and re-assemble. Otherwise you have your choice of a Guard Torsen LSD for $1650, Guard clutch type for $2200, or now available is the OS Giken plate style diff for $1600. Greg F.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

Give Sloan a call at SSI (410)668-1100. He can rebuild factory units with parts from Gaurd and can install thicker plates for more lockup. He has rebuilt two (a turbo and an S2 box) for me and have been very pleased.

SuperCup #215
1986 Porsche 944 N/A Son Robbie's car
2015 Cup National Champion

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:20 pm
Driver

thanks guys giving them a call today and shipping out the diff monday. now onto fixing the looks to be sheared off steering rack end

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:57 am
Driver

thanks again guys lsd is on its way now to guard to be rebuilt. just a quick question i wanted to wash out all the gears and cases. the case with the lsd was full of metallic crank case oil im assuming from the worn out lsd and not the gears which looked to be in good shape. im placing the rebuilt lsd in a low mile 924s tranny i picked up so if there is a gear issue it wont be in my race transmission. ill be putting the open diff back in the old case. sorry for wandering my main question is can i use kerosene to clean out the cases and what kinds of gear lube do you all recommend i think i had just Mobil 1 from the auto parts store but cant remember off the top of my head. thanks John

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:27 am
Rookie Driver

I would think a kerosene bath would not hurt anything with a blow gun air dry to get all the residuals out from between parts. Jason at Paragon Products got me into using Redline75W90- one quart with the friction modifier added and two quarts without. It seems to increase lockup a little more.

SuperCup #215
1986 Porsche 944 N/A Son Robbie's car
2015 Cup National Champion

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:53 pm
Driver

thanks ill be washing out my cases and gears tonight. not positive on what kind of rebuild i should do but ill discuss it with guard and see what they recomend looks like the cost will run around 1000 for parts and labor

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:35 am
Driver

just a quick update for anyone interested in having there lsd rebuilt by these guys. Matt finished up my lsd even with the problem that the previous rebuilder used incorrect non factory bolts which led to extra cost the race rebuild came in under 1000 dollars. all i need now is new lsd bearings, apparently mine are full of junk. Cant wait to get this thing out on the track id love to see the difference in lap times it will make apparently matt tells me this lsd i have been racing on hasn't been doing much of anything for probably year, its basically been running as an open diff. (I guess all those burnouts and doughnuts when i was 16 came back to bite me in the ass)

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:22 am
Driver

hey guys trying to re install this lsd into another better case i swapped over the ring gear to keep matched set i also bought new bearing as advised from guard but does anybody have a link to walk me through setting up this rear diff and the problems if its not done correctly. thanks alot im just trying to hurry up to have lots of time before nationals.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]