View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
master cyl 
Driver

hey guys im looking into running no power brake booster. i have an 83 brake system with hawk blue pads all around and a tilton proportioning valve inline to the rear(that works amazing if your allowed in your prep level). im still new to sports car racing from years in formula series but i find modulation, threshold and left foot braking very anoying and distracting with such an light pedal. i was looking at aftermarket race master cyls but was wondering if anyone had any info on this that could lead me in the right direction. thanks John

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:58 am
Rookie Driver

You can remove the vacuum line attached to the top left side of the booster. Leave the hole open into the booster, this will effectively 'disable' the booster. The brakes will now require 'quite a bit of input' from your foot.

JM
8-)

Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:49 am
Driver

thought about that but havent had a chance to test it and id rather not test it at the track i was thinking it might be better to go with a master cyl that was designed to be without power assist.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:19 am
Driver

Not sure it is ok to remove the booster within the rules. I have had some experience with this working on a few 944 V8 conversions where the booster must be removed to make room for a Chevy. The brakes are borderline uncomfortable to use due to the massive effort to get the car to slow down at all. Most of the owners opt for a hotrod booster deal that mounts in the fenderwell to provide assist. The only other way I know to eliminate the booster and still have reasonable brakes would be to install dual master cylinders, which I know is not ok in the Prep 2 rules. Greg F

Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:39 pm
Profile WWW

Bought a 944 with no booster with upgraded master cylinders. Absolutely horrible. The pedal push required to apply brakes required bionic leg strength. I heard of left foot braking but experienced two feet braking with that set up.

cup944@aol.com

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:03 pm
Driver

Our booster failed and the car was unsafe to say the least. You would need to have legs of steel to get anywhere near the cars braking potential without the booster working.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:23 pm
Driver

thanks guys i dont know if it would worki kind of think it would only take longer to build brake boost but would limiting the vacuum hose size do anything or do i just have to live with it

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:06 am
Driver

The stock set up incorporates something the manual calls a "venturi" that does indeed restrict the vacuum supply to the booster for a higher pedal. Greg

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]