View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Turbo rebuild 
Driver

Hey guys, I'm trying to get an 87 turbo back on the road for my wife and am in the home stretch. Durring a timing belt job I inspected the turbo and felt slight play in out and up and down. I'm assuming the turbo needs to be replaced. The car hasn't ran in months since I bought it and previously to me buying it hadn't been on the road for 5 years. I know the turbine rides on oil film bearings so I assume it would tighten up when running but guessing not enough. rebuild parts kits seem to be pretty cheap around 50 bucks. Is it something I can tackle myself? I mean mechanically I know I can knock it out but is there anything special that needs to be done. I've read all kinds of conflicting things. I've read that the assy is balanced as a unit and seprate and if it's seprate then you can rebuild it and it will still be balanced. Any help would be appreciated, I've got a rediculous amount of 944 experience but limited 944 turbo and still need to learn.

Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:18 am
Driver

i think im going to give in and go with timsturbos.com seem to be reading alot of good things and not terribly expensive at around 350 bucks. i still think it would be fun to try it myself but i don't want to risk blowing the engine.

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]