View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
Proposed Super Cup Rule Changes for 2011 

MBuck951 wrote:
I like the idea of stock chips, they work for me and don't open up any 'gray' areas. So that is the side I am posting for . . . I guess a fresh motor just gets to full power sooner, not more power overall. Guess that makes sense.

I to think the stock chip woudl help the questions that coem up in this class. Woudl liek to keep if possible. Is there a way to detune the engine, lower boost, etc, that woudl allow a fresh motor to use the stock chip w/o hitting boost limit?

cup944@aol.com

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:00 pm
Rookie Driver

Lots of ways to mechanically "detune": throttle stop, restrictor plates, choke the exhaust, monkey with the wastegate/timing valve (illegal by the way),etc. but it's not a healthy way for these engines to run according to the tuner and can potentially damage a motor. I'm not willing to risk a $4k motor to meet a spec that according to the guys at the Viper lab is a sliding, "can change with the weather" scale with turbo cars. When I was down there over the summer with the boy at camp they ran multiple pulls trying to replicate results. The guys told me that they felt they could not produce reliable,verifyable results especially with cars that were tuned close to the limit. Results varied from 1st pull to 4th pull (heat soak), using 4th gear, using 5th gear, ballast in the hatch, etc. Bottom line is that it's much easier to add/remove weight to meet a HP/TQ value that is measured or known. I hate to say it but if supercup lives on it should be for the normally aspirated cars only. They don't seem to have these problems and could/should run the stock chips without issue.

SuperCup #215
1986 Porsche 944 N/A Son Robbie's car
2015 Cup National Champion

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:08 pm

TurboPooch wrote:
..........results varied from 1st pull to 4th pull (heat soak), using 4th gear, using 5th gear, ballast in the hatch, etc. Bottom line is that it's much easier to add/remove weight to meet a HP/TQ value that is measured or known. I hate to say it but if supercup lives on it should be for the normally aspirated cars only. They don't seem to have these problems and could/should run the stock chips without issue.

All the cars vary from 1st pull to last...turbo or NA. Don't think we ever expected to see exact reults for each pull, rather we use the result that is the highest for each car tested. And the gear used on the dyno test must always be the same, that is the standard, and all cars are tested in 4th gear for official testing.

And while Turbos present their own set of problems, many Turbos are raced in many different classes successfully, and some using a dyno to enforce power limits.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Rookie Driver

OMG! Chips and DMEs, and Turbos, STILL!

A stock chip can be flashed with any maps and be visually stock. Sealed DMEs can be tampered with. Mapping can be switched prior to the dyno run.

I say if you're going to "open up" the rest of the rules then don't worry about the chips. The rule should be to require stock boost.
Enforce the weight rule and max HP. Instead of teching to make sure the DME and Chips are sealed or stock "appearing", spend that effort installing taletell boost gauges during race sessions, and continue to look for the mapping switch technology(not to be forgotten in CUP too).

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:24 pm
Profile WWW

Znd4speed wrote:
The rule should be to require stock boost.
...............installing taletell boost gauges during race sessions, and continue to look for the mapping switch technology(not to be forgotten in CUP too).

Can u tell us more about the telltale boost guage. quick install? price? thanks.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:59 am
Rookie Driver

This is an answer that came to light during the discussions after the 2009 Nationals. A shop owner that preps Cup cars says he can build them. I em'd him directly back then and IIRC they would cost approx. $200.
It installs under the hood and similair to a taletell tach, it marks the highest reading. It was suggested for scruts to put these on certain cars for qualifying and race sessions. If the gauge shows too much boost then DSQ. Should work until someone figures a way to confuse it. :-)

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:17 pm
Profile WWW

Znd4speed wrote:
This is an answer that came to light during the discussions after the 2009 Nationals. A shop owner that preps Cup cars says he can build them. I em'd him directly back then and IIRC they would cost approx. $200.
It installs under the hood and similair to a taletell tach, it marks the highest reading. It was suggested for scruts to put these on certain cars for qualifying and race sessions. If the gauge shows too much boost then DSQ. Should work until someone figures a way to confuse it. :-)

MantisSport had promised a similar device at the beginning of the 2010 season but never produced the item. if anyone knows of a source, please let me know.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:38 pm
Rookie Driver

Znd4speed wrote:
and continue to look for the mapping switch technology(not to be forgotten in CUP too).

How can you monitor that? :?: That would require a :ugeek:

c.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:07 pm

951Charles wrote:
Znd4speed wrote:
and continue to look for the mapping switch technology(not to be forgotten in CUP too).

How can you monitor that? :?: That would require a :ugeek:

c.

Have lined up a Uber Geek to do some on the job training for me and other Cup officials to help us get up to speed. The UG thinks the presence of such devices is over stated, but is willing to go ove rit with us.

Have also been in touch with PCA scruts with our planned shift over there. They say they have "equipment" for checking chips and boost and the like. That capability is more then we have been offered by others with whom we have raced, so there are some reinforcements on the way.

Also interesting is that PCA requires stock chips in boosted cars in Stock, of course, and even in Prepared (where a NA 3.2 911 could have a different chip). Exhausts are free in PCA for Stock and Prepared classes, where lots of 944 turbos run. Very popular. They have never heard of the boost limit issue. Will continue to investigate.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:24 pm
Driver

DD,
doing a great job looking into this, reconsidering this issue is very much appreciated. Great input from very knowledgable participants too (turbopooch, Buck, RL). Very encouraging to see and I look foward to a great season next year.
Where do we stand on chips for the NA's right now?

SuperCup #57, National Champion 2011 and 2012
www.frankcelenza.com/racing.php

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next