View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
Proposed Super Cup Rule Changes for 2011 

DrFranz wrote:
DD,
doing a great job looking into this, reconsidering this issue is very much appreciated. Great input from very knowledgable participants too (turbopooch, Buck, RL). Very encouraging to see and I look foward to a great season next year.
Where do we stand on chips for the NA's right now?

Tks Frank. For SC, the stock chip requirement would apply to all models if we make the change as planned..

cup944@aol.com

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:55 pm
Rookie Driver

I have one of these in my car http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetai ... 2639&sid=7 It has a peak memory that is recalled by pushing a button and is stored until physically reset. Keeps the max value whether it has voltage or not. Could be mounted in a small secure box under the hood and should only require alligator clips to the battery and a vacuum connection. I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives but the same idea.

Only problem is it only reads a peak value and not how long the value lasted. Big difference on the track. With the stock boost control equipment (wastegate, timing valve, rubber hoses that expand and contract, etc) there is a time lag that occurs as boost rises and is reacted to. I have watched my gauge roll up fast depending on the gear and load to the 12 psi that I had the warning light set to and turn it on and then get attenuated by the mechanical actions of the timing valve and wastegate which are controlled by the electronics of the DME/KLR. Dealing with pneumatic attenuation has an inherent amount of imprecision due to the compression of the air, expansion of the tubing, reaction time of the pneumatic rheostat in the KLR, cycling valve and wastgate diaphragm and will have to be accounted for in my mind.

Is a guy going to get DQ'd because he had 13.5 psi for half a second? No easy answer when you start making more rules and regulations and try to enforce with lo buck methods.

Data loggers for everone! Good luck Dave...

SuperCup #215
1986 Porsche 944 N/A Son Robbie's car
2015 Cup National Champion

Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:11 pm
Driver

We already have HP/Torque requirements. 944Cup cars are allowed modified chips. What's so super about SuperCup if we disallow them. I think this is getting silly. Yes I'm standing back for the blast that is sure to come.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:17 pm
Rookie Driver

I wouldn't want anyone DQ'd for that half-second scenario Steve. Do you think this type of "spike" would happen repeatedly? In every session?
1 or 2, psi while an advantage shouldn't make huge horsepower.
My thinking is we just need to try to stop folks from adding 8 psi and 100 horsepower. Do you think Data-loggers are the only way to police Turbos?

John I agree SuperCup should be allowed to chip. A stock appearing chip can have a non-stock map on it anyway.
I think we are all just looking for a way to keep the Turbos running and have a somewhat level playing field.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Driver

RL, I have only been in 944Cup for a couple of years, so I don't know much about the history of the series. It seems that The 3 Liter 16V cars are competitive with the turbo's now. In the past did the turbos run away with the series? It seems I heard the same thing about 2.7L NA engines when the weight was lowered to 2750.

I guess I'm asking is this a tempest in a teapot?

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:42 am
Rookie Driver

John, I don't think we are blowing this out of proportion. Even though a Turbo has only won once since 2006 I think its like the 2.7 in Cup, the driver is still the biggest factor(see my tongue in cheek signature line). Which is what this series is all about, the Driver. Keeping the mechanical factor as equal as possible must be maintained.
You own Turbos so you know their performance potential and how it can be hidden, BTW shouldn't you build a Turbo for SuperCup instead of the S2? :D

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

Up until now, S2's have been allowed to run modified chips and have had the HP limited to 205 RWHP.

Now, the proposal is mandating a stock chip while allowing more HP for S2's, 215 RWHP?

I don't know how to achieve the proposed HP at a reasonable cost without a modifed chip. The modification of the chip is the only reasonable performance option we have with an S2, other than to do exotic (likely illegal, definitely costly) internal modifications.

Don't misunderstand me, as I am all for the increased HP and reduced weight for S2's in Super Cup. I just believe that a modified chip is part of the equation.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:33 pm

Znd4speed wrote:
I wouldn't want anyone DQ'd for that half-second scenario Steve. Do you think this type of "spike" would happen repeatedly? In every session?
1 or 2, psi while an advantage shouldn't make huge horsepower.

We DQ cars for being 1/2 HP or 1/2 TQ pt over the limit. Boost is another measure of power for the turbos, so it should be handled the same way. If u are over, you are over, doesnt matter how long or by how much.

We have done nothing to monitor boost in the series, and the stock chip is some measure or way to address this shortcoming on a broad scale.

cup944@aol.com

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:55 pm
Driver

I absolutely agree that modified DME chips should be allowed in both Turbo and non-turbo cars. That at least makes 3 of US in favor.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:16 pm
Driver

RL, I have both turbo and S2 as an option. I actually have a Turbo S powered SCCA race car that's almost ready to go, but I thought messing around with the S2 might be interesting and hopefully easier to drive. I really think most of the existing cars have non-OEM DME chips and we should continue that way. This will make it easier for those of us who run in more than one series.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next