View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
Proposed Super Cup Rule Changes for 2011 
Driver

"944S All 2550 2.5L 195
944S2 All 2800 3.0L 215
951 All 2900 2.5L 223
951S All 3080 2.5L 237
968 All 2900 3.0L 223"

Theoretically this would be nice, but I can't foresee getting 215hp out of an S2 without very sophisticated and expensive mods, that I for one am not about to do. I'd say that's at least 10hp too optimistic and suddenly that model is looking very handicapped.
I am in favor of modified chips, as I now run, but I'm still south of 205 even with that.
I like the S2 at 2800lb, but the others need a little more weight as they'll much more easily achieve their hp numbers.

SuperCup #57, National Champion 2011 and 2012
www.frankcelenza.com/racing.php

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

Franz, I still believe that S2's should be allowed the proposed 215HP. With a header and good tune it is possible to get closer to thsat level and it is not necessary to be right on the max HP to be competitive. But, we should not be going backwards with stock chips.

I ran my car without ballast at about 2800# loaded in a non-sanction private club race and can assure you that the car is more gratifying to drive and is less taking on components.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:05 pm
Rookie Driver

Do you think this type of "spike" would happen repeatedly? In every session?
1 or 2, psi while an advantage shouldn't make huge horsepower.

Hey R.L,
I don't think it happens repeatedly as I don't stare at the boost gauge. But it does happen, even with stock chips. Porsche's published max boost for an 89 is 1.82 bar (12.05 psi) and I've had moments, a second maybe, over that until mechanical attenuation controlled by the DME rolls it back. It's all dependent on load. Any dyno operator will tell you there is a difference between varying load that a racetrack provides and a contant load of a dyno. I've noticed it mostly in second gear under full throttle. On the long sections of track it hovers around 10 psi. My comment about a data logger was sort of tongue and cheek as it is the only way I know to show a time vs boost for a whole run session. I'm done now....

SuperCup #215
1986 Porsche 944 N/A Son Robbie's car
2015 Cup National Champion

Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:32 pm
Driver

racer56 wrote:
Franz, I still believe that S2's should be allowed the proposed 215HP. But, we should not be going backwards with stock chips.

I ran my car without ballast at about 2800# loaded and can assure you that the car is more gratifying to drive and is less taking on components.

Well, as I've said before, you guys know better than me, so I'll go along with it then if it's attainable. Also agree on the chip issue, and +1 on the weight as well.
As for Pooch, don't be done with us; I find your input very valuable and interesting.

gonna be a long off-season now....

SuperCup #57, National Champion 2011 and 2012
www.frankcelenza.com/racing.php

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:42 am
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

This past weekend at Summit I tried to take notice of my boost gauge more closely. I have a VDO mechanical gauge (0-15psi over 270* sweep) tapped into the KLR plastic line. In say 3rd gear coming out of T2 heading to T3 I would go to 13psi dead before leveling at around 11.5psi to about redline. About what I had remembered. A K26/8 and stock Turbo S chip should do that. Never an issue hitting a boost limiter or limp mode. I'm sure on the really cold runs Sunday morning it might have been even higher.

Steve and I had a pair of drag races down the front straight during our sessions in black. I usually lift a little, but I made Steve earn it lol

Mike

'03 IS300 5MT

Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:06 pm
Rookie Driver

Regarding the chip issue for Turbos.. why not just test them on a computer?

When i was at the Glen for the PCA race one of the directors they had a laptop with some funky adapter that could test the map on the box. I had my KLR box hooked up and compared against the factory settings. he verified the numbers then sealed the box, dated it and autographed it. Why couldn't we just to that at each race?

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:37 pm

TurboPooch wrote:
..............Porsche's published max boost for an 89 is 1.82 bar (12.05 psi) ............

Steve: with yur telltale guage, how high up does the boost go?

I will be meeting with John Behe in Baltimore to discuss chips and related illegal devices, anyone interested in attending, email me and we can make plans for you to be there to discuss this subject. Friday after next.

I believe a stock chip is not going backwards, but forward if we can improve how level the playing field is. The arguments to use any chip are not convincing with the possible exception of the issue raised by Steve. Hoping to get some more info and answers from the expert, Behe, on chips.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:17 pm

MBuck951 wrote:
This past weekend at Summit I tried to take notice of my boost gauge more closely. I have a VDO mechanical gauge (0-15psi over 270* sweep) tapped into the KLR plastic line. In say 3rd gear coming out of T2 heading to T3 I would go to 13psi dead before leveling at around 11.5psi to about redline.
Mike

seems to be some conflicting info here. Steve says stock limit set at 12.05 psi. then Mike says his stock chip lets him go to 13 psi w/o tripping limiter.

Mike -- sure u have a stock chip ? Steve -- are u sure of where yur stock chip limit was set at 12.05 and where is yur current modified chip set for limit?

cup944@aol.com

Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:30 pm
Rookie Driver

I will double check the manual at home. Meant to earlier, but forgot.

I believe the wording is stock is 1.75bar +/- 10%. If that is the case, 1.75+10% is .925 bar over atmosphere. 14.5bar per psi, so ~13.4 is like an acceptable max. This is for a K26/8 Turbo S. I don't know where Steve gets 12.05 from. Wish I had the manuals on my computer at work to check. If I am incorrect, I will edit my post.

What I have heard PCA did in the past is check for not only max boost, but the overall curve. Max boost should not stay until redline, it tapers off. A Turbo is different from a Turbo S, but I forget the exact wording from the book. The scruts were checking to see how the boost curve was throughout the rev range.

To the best of my knowledge dave my chips are stock. They were sold to me as Turbo S chips and were installed in my boxes by Curry's years ago when I upgraded to a K26/8. When I replaced my DME years ago due to a misfire, the box I got was sold as a Turbo S box. Boost response always been the same.

I am always on the look out for a set of unopenned Turbo S boxes. Ones with the metal tabs on the back not touched. My hope was this would remove all doubt that my boxes are stock. I brought this point up last year I think when we people were saying we should get our boxes tested. I said I wouldn't pull the tabs up on a box that wasn't previously opened. Someone said it didn't matter, cause you can still flash it anyway. I also remember Chris Prack had unopened boxes in his white car and his car made a ton of power. Some kind of Andial box, that had a Turbo Cup chipset but still OEM part numbers . .

FWIW, my VDO gauge is tapped into the KLR hardline with a plastic T and electrical tape. This is not the same gauge or attachment point as specified in the manual for measuring boost pressure. So my accuracy may not be great. I use the gauge more for relative purposes. i.e., if it isn't going as high as it used to, I might have a problem.

'03 IS300 5MT

Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:59 pm
Rookie Driver

Director wrote:
TurboPooch wrote:
..............Porsche's published max boost for an 89 is 1.82 bar (12.05 psi) ............

Steve: with yur telltale guage, how high up does the boost go?

I will be meeting with John Behe in Baltimore to discuss chips and related illegal devices, anyone interested in attending, email me and we can make plans for you to be there to discuss this subject. Friday after next.

I believe a stock chip is not going backwards, but forward if we can improve how level the playing field is. The arguments to use any chip are not convincing with the possible exception of the issue raised by Steve. Hoping to get some more info and answers from the expert, Behe, on chips.

Excellent Dave, I'm really glad your involving John. Not only is he a friend and a gentleman, he is also one of best around when it comes to this stuff.
You will enjoy your time spent with John I'm sure.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next