View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Nationals 2013 

Where for 2013 Nationals?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:57 pm
1.) Daytona 76%  76%  [ 22 ]
2.) NJMP/Thunderbolt 24%  24%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 29

Nationals 2013 
Rookie Driver

One thing that is probably keeping the Quebec drivers away this year is the fact that there was no Quebec race this year. They make up over half, probably 70% of the Canada region. They had 20 cars at Tremblant in September. We had a low car count at the July, Mosport race because they were all racing at Tremblant instead of Mosport. I think we need to have a race there next year even if it is not on our terms just to support the Quebec racers/race where they want to race. With out them the series in Canada will not last.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:51 pm
Driver

Chris I agree with you. However we were not allowed to race as 944 Cup at Mont Tremblant this year. We would have been required to register as G70. In doing so we would have lost the identity and uniqueness of 944 Cup. That was the deciding factor in not racing at Mont Tremblant. In addition there would have been no split start even though that would not have been a deal breaker for the series.

If an organizer will not allow the 944 Cup series to be recognized as a class, why should we race with them? I do hope that we race at Mont Tremblant next year.....

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:13 pm
Driver

That was my thought; why don't we do Nat's at Le Circuit next year? I don't understand the politics behind it, but if we were considering the haul down to Daytona, well I'd rather go north to that track.

SuperCup #57, National Champion 2011 and 2012
www.frankcelenza.com/racing.php

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:18 pm
Profile WWW

Chris924s wrote:
One thing that is probably keeping the Quebec drivers away this year is the fact that there was no Quebec race this year. They make up over half, probably 70% of the Canada region. They had 20 cars at Tremblant in September. We had a low car count at the July, Mosport race because they were all racing at Tremblant instead of Mosport. I think we need to have a race there next year even if it is not on our terms just to support the Quebec racers/race where they want to race. With out them the series in Canada will not last.

Chris: I understand what you are saying and you may be right on point.

From my viewpoint, the series needs to have some standards for what is a 944 Cup race. I have been faced with similar situations with NASA and other organizations where our most basic standards would not going to be meet. We moved on while keeping to our standards. And if that meant losing some drivers, a chapter, or the series not lasting, then so be it.

NASA wanted us to run within GTS, or else. NASA never changed their position and we left NASA. PCA wanted to do away with split starts, or else. We told PCA we were not racing with them. PCA changed their position and we still race with them. Both these organizations took 100% of the entry fees, shared nothing with us. We jus wanted some concessions to keep our identity as a series.

These types of demands by racing organizations serve to undermine the 944 Cup as an independent series. Without some basic standards to operate within, the 944 Cup looses its identity and simply becomes some other class of racing and not the 944 Cup. We do not ask for much.

So for Tremblant, if track management insists on dictating the terms of our being there, rather than negotiating, the series will race elsewhere, regardless of the consequences. Hopefully, Tremblant track management will be willing to negotiate for next year and we can the track back on the schedule once or twice.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:32 pm

DrFranz wrote:
That was my thought; why don't we do Nat's at Le Circuit next year? I don't understand the politics behind it, but if we were considering the haul down to Daytona, well I'd rather go north to that track.

Well, we cant work out the terms to do a regional, so a National race?

cup944@aol.com

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:39 pm
Driver

Like I said, I don't really understand the politics, but it usually helps us to know what goes on behind the scenes.
So, in short Dave, could you lay out what you ask of circuits/clubs for us to run with them? What do we stand for and what standards keep us as a race series? A little unity on our part will keep us together.

SuperCup #57, National Champion 2011 and 2012
www.frankcelenza.com/racing.php

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:30 pm
Profile WWW

DrFranz wrote:
Like I said, I don't really understand the politics, but it usually helps us to know what goes on behind the scenes.
So, in short Dave, could you lay out what you ask of circuits/clubs for us to run with them? What do we stand for and what standards keep us as a race series? A little unity on our part will keep us together.

Put simply, I ask for two concessions. First, allow 944 Cup drivers to register as in class as either 944 Cup or 944 Super Cup. Second, allow the 944 Cup classes a split start with 15 or more entries.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:37 pm
Rookie Driver

Dave- I think you have done a great job with this series ( and with a lot of class I might add )
It may get to the point of combining the N.E. & Canadian Series and with the potential car count of easily 20+ cars every race some clout might be gained with the race organizers. Too bad we don't have a war chest that would guarantee these clubs a min. amount of entries to achieve your requirements. Money always seems to rule the day with these guys. That might require establishing an annual membership fee for the drivers. Just some food for thought.......

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:06 am
Rookie Driver

Quote:
Last year Nationals was a week later and the Quebec drivers had a presence. And the Canada chapter had the same number of events as last year. So budget and timing are comparable.

Well, to be honest, we have made our own private schedule here in Qc since no Mt-Tremblant events were included in the Canada Chapter Schedule. So we took all Canadian dates and we added the 3 race weekends at Tremblant as part of "Quebec Chapter" schedule. Guys wanted to race Tremblant and it is easy to understand why. So some of us did 6-7 weekends and that was enough for them. For us, racing at the end of October is not very tempting unless it's in hot climate.

Quote:
One thing that is probably keeping the Quebec drivers away this year is the fact that there was no Quebec race this year.

Some of them were not happy about that, but I don't think that it's a reason of the non registration issue. At least I never heard of anything in this regard, but I don't discount it either.

It is not easy to make everybody happy.

Forget about the split start at Tremblant. If we register 25 cars for the Summer Classic and that the CTCC is not on schedule, we MAY have our own run group, no guarantee at all regarding that. Unless we buy track time from them. Entry fees will go up by a lot. Normal fees for a 3 day weekend is 450$.

c.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:18 am
Driver

Not sure what the car count is for this year's nationals, other than knowing I will sadly not be one of them. However, I'm really saddened to hear that Daytona is not going to happen next year. I was very excited for the chance to race there. It's understandable if the numbers don't justify it though.

I try my best to make every event but unfortunately conflicts occur. I really wish people would consult me before they schedule events. :?

2008 MA Championship 10th
2009 MA Championship T-13th
2010 MA Championship 4th
2011 North Championship 5th
2012 North Championship 4th
2013 North Championship 1st

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next