View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Nationals 2014 

Myself and several Cup reps are headed to New York next weekend to visit the Monticello Motor Club as a preview for the possible site of the 2014 944 Cup Nationals.

Monticello is a private race track about 90 minutes from Manhattan. Track management has approached me about making their facility the location where the series would hold Nationals the next 3 years. That possibility is being considered with a decision to be made within the next month or so.

I have had discussions with PCA about their joining us with a club race should we decide to make Monticello our choice. PCA has been receptive. Track officials are open to the idea.

With Monticello not open to the public or other club racing sanctioning bodies such as SCCA or NASA, having our Nationals at this track is an unique opportunity for the 944 Cup. The date would be late September or early October.

For more details on the track: monticellomotorclub.com/

cup944@aol.com

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:48 am
Driver

I've driven it, and our cars go well there! With the upgrades to the facility that are already underway it could be a great event, and possibly a home for us.

SuperCup #57, National Champion 2011 and 2012
www.frankcelenza.com/racing.php

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:39 pm
Profile WWW

The trip to Monticello went very good this past weekend. Ended up having a half dozen 944's there on Sunday. Think all the 944 thought the track would be a great location for a Nationals for the series. The facility has a very cool vibe about it, and they are spending another several more Millions of dollars on improvements this off season.

Had a chance to drive a 944 Turbo around the circuit. The track is 3.6 miles long with 21 turns providing a lot of opportunities for passing. . Not an easy to figure very quickly. Some tight turns, a few very fast ones, a 3/4 mile straight, and abundant elevation changes. All and all a track well suited for the 944. Just a fun track.

Track management was very open to ideas for making the event a successful one. All that is needed at this point is to work out something with PCA for including a club race there. Good overnight accommodations near by with some good restaurants. Always a lot in the details in making an event happen, but I think this venue makes for a unique location for the Cup's next Nationals.

Hopefully we will know something soon.

cup944@aol.com

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:34 am
Driver

I'd have trailered over there if I knew you were there.
Presently, this facility needs some amenities before it's race worthy, and PCA is well aware.
Mainly, there's no way to park rigs near to a paddock, it's not convenient to work out of for a weekend.
I hear they're reconfiguring the place with this in mind, so we'll see.
The track is long, but a bit narrow, and to me lacks rhythm, it's point and shoot in a few places, but I'd be we'd have a great time there.
The clubhouse and food sure is a nice touch!

Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:00 am
Profile WWW

DrFranz wrote:
I'd have trailered over there if I knew you were there.
Presently, this facility needs some amenities before it's race worthy, and PCA is well aware.
Mainly, there's no way to park rigs near to a paddock, it's not convenient to work out of for a weekend.
I hear they're reconfiguring the place with this in mind, so we'll see.
The track is long, but a bit narrow, and to me lacks rhythm, it's point and shoot in a few places, but I'd be we'd have a great time there.
The clubhouse and food sure is a nice touch!

You must not have read the first post Frank, said we would be there this past weekend.

Acutally the Glen and Lime Rock have more narrow sections ( down to 31 feet wide) than Monticello, which is a FIA approved 38 feet wide for the entire track. I saw no concern with the track width. The track is much the opposite of point and shoot as it is a momentum track, placing more value on driving skill rather than powering down from corner to corner with HP. The SP3 drivers will be challenged by the SP2 guys out there for sure.

The track has all the amenties and more of a Lime Rock, Roebling Road, and CMP, tracks already on the schedule. The is plenty of space for rigs, the complex is huge. Considering how much better this track is than the tracks just mentioned, Monticello is venue worthy of having our Nationals. A club race also.

This could be a once in life time of the series to be at this track. Up to now, no other sanctioning bodies have been able to get into this venue, at any price. The privilege of shutting this track down to members for 3 days for our race with a pca club race is very costly to the motor club. This is a rare opportunity. I think PCA will jump on it.

cup944@aol.com

Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:07 pm
Driver

Sounds like it could be fun and not an opportunity to miss.

2008 MA Championship 10th
2009 MA Championship T-13th
2010 MA Championship 4th
2011 North Championship 5th
2012 North Championship 4th
2013 North Championship 1st

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:01 pm
Driver

I saw the original post, even responded to it, but it doesn't invite anyone, that I can see.

In any case, I've driven it in my car and raced it there. It's a lot of fun. A little bit of everything, we should be able to race our brains out there.
I'd like it even better if it became our permanent fixture!

I could post video if it's of interest.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:50 pm
Profile WWW

DrFranz wrote:
.......................I'd like it even better if it became our permanent fixture!

Monticello would like to make this a 4 or 5 year deal, PCA too is looking for a long term deal. Much depends on how the first comes off.

cup944@aol.com

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:38 pm
Driver

Director wrote:
Monticello would like to make this a 4 or 5 year deal, PCA too is looking for a long term deal. Much depends on how the first comes off.

If I'm there, I'll behave, I promise!

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:35 am
Profile WWW

Should know something on Monticello more conclusive in a week, maybe two.

SCCA Pro Racing has asked us to join them at Lime Rock as part of a Trans Am weekend. This would be a second choice over Monticello. Another option would be Mid Ohio with PCA also in September should that PCA region decide to move their race date to the Fall as being contemplated.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next