View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Start -- Cup Nationals 

What type of starts do we use for races at Nationals?
Poll ended at Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:34 pm
Staggered standing start 86%  86%  [ 12 ]
Rolling start 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14

The Start -- Cup Nationals 

MattMarks wrote:
Self-policing = racers taking responsibility to not jump the start.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cup944@aol.com

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:04 pm
Site Admin

Having started in both the front and back of the field a multitude of times, I think the people at the back get hosed. The simple answer is to qualify higher up... but I don't think you should be doubly penalized for not.

Even if people have the best of intentions, the gas/brake game right before the start multiples as it ripples through the field and creates an accordion effect. Often those in the rear have to floor it and jam the brakes just to keep up with the person in front of them.

When people don't have the best of intentions, which happens quite a bit, the primary violation is in the form of people leaving a gap to the car in front of them. This gives them the opportunity to get a run, but it pushes everyone on their side of the track back one row. Even if it's not intentional, I've seen it happen 3 times in the last 4 races so it's pretty widespread.

Regarding safety, I think it's a wash. Lower speeds at Turn 1 mean less carnage if there is a problem. I almost got rear-ended this weekend by someone jumping the start so even if drivers take responsibility, the damage may already be done. I also think the need for Bookler Flaggers is exaggerated because many (including NASA) have done it for a long time with no more issue than a rolling start.

Doing a standing start for two races will be a nice change of pace.

'08 spec.B | '85 944 | '08 848

Rockin' the Cup since '02 | 3rd, 6th, 4th, 5th, 3rd, 5th, 13th (PT), 18th (PT), 6th (Team D), 3rd (Team D)

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:24 pm
Profile WWW

MattMarks wrote:
It's about the racing - the girls are a bonus.

Matt- when you watch the start of an F1 race, as a racer and a fan of racing, doesn't it strike you as exciting?

On a regular basis, I would agree it may have some long term ill effects on the parts, but one or two races, not so much weighing the risk reward of setting Nationals apart from every other Cup race. The suggestion i got from any racers last year about Nationals is it seemed too much like any other regional race. We're trying to change that .

Plus, I think the Cup drivers have above average skills when it come sto self preservation and that of their fellow competitors. I think they can handle a standing start safely, on a occasion.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:57 pm
Rookie Driver

DD.

Yes - standing starts are awesome in F1. However, by memory there were either 4 or 6 car to car contacts ("carbon to carbon"?) before turn 1 at last weeks race. Food for thought. They don't have to pay for their own damage. :lol: and transmissions are free!

Anyway, as I'm clearly in the minority on this. It's all good. Will start working on practice starts this weekend :twisted:

Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:40 pm

MattMarks wrote:
DD.

Yes - standing starts are awesome in F1. However, by memory there were either 4 or 6 car to car contacts ("carbon to carbon"?) before turn 1 at last weeks race. Food for thought. They don't have to pay for their own damage. :lol: and transmissions are free!

Anyway, as I'm clearly in the minority on this. It's all good. Will start working on practice starts this weekend :twisted:

And I would recollect the F1 contact had little to do with the standing start and more with T1 and T2, and that goes back to my comment about the ability and moindset of Cup racers, who do have to pay for body damage. Drivers do have teh option at the start to take care of their equipment much as they decide to do thru out the race.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:18 pm
Driver

I think the standing start is a great idea and as DD said, something to set Nationals apart from the rest of the season. I personally have never done a standing start but have always wanted to try it. Considering the feature race of the weekend does a standing start, it only seems fitting that we follow suit.

As for the rolling start issues, the accordion effect definitely happens. The hardest part though, especially at VIR and SP, is that the cars towards the back have a significant disadvantage at seeing the flag drop partially due to the distance but also because of the incline on the front straight. A standing start would help alleviate that since the cars will all be much closer to the flag stand.

2008 MA Championship 10th
2009 MA Championship T-13th
2010 MA Championship 4th
2011 North Championship 5th
2012 North Championship 4th
2013 North Championship 1st

Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:07 am

OK Guys, the plan is to do a standing start for the Sunday race. Saturday's race will be the standard rolling start. The plan is to have a chalkand talk with SCCA Pro to go over the protocol for the starts, time and location TBA.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2