View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Prep 2 Fuel Rail 

yes I have old rails. have not added any additional fasteners other then what it came with. need to look at yur set up and get some of those metal ties. can u post pix.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:16 am
Rookie Driver

I think that a rule requiring 4 attachment points is a great idea and should be mandatory. Someone sold me an old Lindsay Fuel rail late last year with only two attachment points which I purchased in good faith and definitely in ignorance. :( (Buyer beware) At Sebring this year, I had a engine compartment fire due to injectors popping out of the fuel rail. Although there was no serious damage to the engine or car (or me), the cost of fixing all the collateral damage was significant.

Signed,
A Uninformed and Unhappy Lindsey Fuel Rail (Version 1) Owner

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:44 pm
Rookie Driver

Director wrote:
yes I have old rails. have not added any additional fasteners other then what it came with. need to look at yur set up and get some of those metal ties. can u post pix.

The fuel rail is off the car right now, but I'll post pics asap. BTW, I didn't mean that there was no need for bolts at all--I use the two main bolts and loctite to keep the rail centered. But, I added the ties after the rail fell off mid-race when we failed to loctite after a hasty assembly. No fire, but certainly could have been.

Steve

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:06 pm
Rookie Driver

Here's a picture of how I've routed the ties. It's pretty solid like that. The plastic ties ratchet tighter than the metal ones, but they metal are there just in case something melts. They were nice and tight all of last year. I've got plenty of extra metal ones if you want a few.

Steve

Attachments:
File comment: Fuel Rail
IMG_0721.JPG [144.87 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:21 pm
Driver

That is not a true statement... all 944 fuel rails are held by 4 6X1.0mm bolts. 2 go to the cam housing and two go to the intake manifold. The early styles of aftermarket rails I have seen allow the entire rail to tip sideways, creating a large fuel leak. Greg F

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

Greg,

When I wrote that there are only two bolts holding the old rails, I was writing about the old model Lindsey aftermarket rails. I was making that point because you and Dave suggested that the rule should read "four bolts" and that would require a different modification of the earlier model Lindsey rails than I'm using. But, if you or someone who can fabricate, wants to make some kind of second bracket to accommodate the extra bolts, I'd gladly buy one.

The only way that the fuel rail can tip sideways zip tied to the intake is if the bolts are able to fall completely out. And then it would take a pretty solid impact to stretch the ties enough to allow it to pull away from the intake enough for the injectors to clear the holes. When it happened to me during a race (without ties and loctite--both bolts fell out), it took some time for the injectors to vibrate loose enough for some of the fuel spray to start leaking out. When that happened there was an obvious loss of power and fuel smell. Hit the kill switch as soon as that was apparent and everything stopped spraying and whatever fuel was on the engine at that point quickly evaporated. Even if there was a fire it wouldn't have had much fuel. BTW, it was the last lap and I was in the lead :(.

Anyway, in the end I'd rather have the new style rails... Dave, want to query Lindsey about a special deal for those of us who bought the original fuel rails?

Steve

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Has anyone asked Lindsey if they have a retrofit to secure the old style rail by four bolts?

cup944@aol.com

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Steve:

Let's talk about this weekend at NJMP this weekend when u can show me. Thanks.

cup944@aol.com

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:53 pm
Rookie Driver

10-4

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:06 am
Rookie Driver

Just a quick bump to be sure that this rule revision makes it into the 2012 Prep 2 updates...

PacNW 944 Cup . ICSCC #1
life is participation in evolution

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next