View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Cup Class - New Prep Category 

Giving consideration to adding in a new prep category for the Cup class cars that would provide for a lower weight and hp/tq limit for power challenged cars often seen for the budget minded guys racing on high mileage street or junk yard motors.
The idea being to give these drivers a bit of a leg up in weight to offset, at least in part, for the missing power. The drop in weight wont get them near the frt I dont expect, but will help them be a bit more competitive in the field for few extra bucks to lose weight.

I see a few engines down in the mid 120's and quite a bit more around 130. The very nature of these engines should have lower numbers for TQ so limits would be set accordingly. The numbers being considered are 134/134 at 2500 lbs for Stock cars only.

cup944@aol.com

Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:22 pm
Driver

Will you be considering allowing alternate material body components to achieve the 2500lb weight? The most common one I am asked about is the substitution of the nose for a replica 951 part or the hood. Next is the use of a Lexan rear window. We have a difficult time getting to the 2600lb weight using the ITS prep rules. Greg F.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:39 pm
Profile WWW

GregF wrote:
Will you be considering allowing alternate material body components to achieve the 2500lb weight? The most common one I am asked about is the substitution of the nose for a replica 951 part or the hood. Next is the use of a Lexan rear window. We have a difficult time getting to the 2600lb weight using the ITS prep rules. Greg F.

The rules already permit lexan quarter windows, windshield, and hatch for SCCA prep cars. Can also adopt the same nose rules used for PCA prep, i.e.
"Spoilers and air dams are free providing they do not exceed maximum factory body width by any amount, maximum factory body length (not including the bumpers) by more then one inch or maximum spoiler height of the vehicle by more then 6 inches. Stock bumpers may be modified, replaced, or removed, providing that they are not relocated and that they are not larger in height, width, and depth than stock. " Hoods for all must remain stock.

cup944@aol.com

Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:11 pm
Driver

Unfortunately the local SCCA and ICSCC folks enforce the actual IT rules. So we are routinely checked for compliance with the 5" min ride height, body parts, etc. I will continue to use the IT grid next season and then consider moving the Cup points races to the PCA grid, where all the different prep levels can be easily accomodated. Greg

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:26 pm
Profile WWW

Greg:

We have two SCCA regions back here in the East who have adopted the 944 Cup classes so our 944's can run outside of the ITS rules and make full benefit of Cup rules. Consider pushing your local SCCA for the same.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:39 am
Rookie Driver

DD,
Which regions??

BTW Thanks for the great new forums and your ongoing efforts to make this series a great place to be.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Marty

Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:00 pm

silver fox wrote:
DD,
Which regions??

BTW Thanks for the great new forums and your ongoing efforts to make this series a great place to be.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Marty

In the Central Florida and Atlanta Regions

cup944@aol.com

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:49 pm
Rookie Driver

How can we get that bird to migrate North in the spring?

Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:17 pm
Driver

When we get to 12 regular competitors I can create a special "Cup" class in the SCCA sanctioned events. One of the special things about the 944 Cup class is the ability to intermix different preparation levels in one class for these cars. For our region it is good to be able to run legally in the IT grid and collect those regional points as well. I hope the rules don't muddy or modify the basic SCCA, PCA and NASA rules much more than they currently do. Greg F

Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]