View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
Q&A -- Body Parts 
Rookie Driver

I'm with GregF and colganc on this one. What attracted me to racing a 944 is the limited cost of entry- Set up the car once, and simply go race. No need for continual expendtures to remain competative.

Wed May 19, 2010 12:27 pm
Rookie Driver

I have bought complete cars for the price of a composite dash. Why are people obsessed with buying parts they don't need? Oh I know, min weight is too low. Raise the weight and know one will need composite anything.

Save your money for new tires.

Tue May 25, 2010 12:10 am
Site Admin

944Chamber wrote:
I have bought complete cars for the price of a composite dash. Why are people obsessed with buying parts they don't need? Oh I know, min weight is too low. Raise the weight and know one will need composite anything.

Save your money for new tires.

I don't think anyone has ever replaced their dash to make weight. I'm pretty sure everyone that's done it has done so more for cosmetic and functionality reasons. Since a vast majority of racers make weight without composite dashes, people using them to make a min weight are doing it wrong. Given that, I'd argue no one needs composite anything already.

Besides, higher weight wears tires and brakes faster... so it's not as simple as higher weight saving money.

'08 spec.B | '85 944 | '08 848

Rockin' the Cup since '02 | 3rd, 6th, 4th, 5th, 3rd, 5th, 13th (PT), 18th (PT), 6th (Team D), 3rd (Team D)

Tue May 25, 2010 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Driver

I replaced my dash with a fiberglass dash and AutoMeter gauges because I wanted more gauges to assist with on track and off track diagnostics (water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, transaxle temp, fuel presssure, air/fuel ratio, fuel level, tachometer and voltmeter) and I wanted it to look good too. Did I spend too much? Probably, but that is a personal choice.

Tue May 25, 2010 6:44 pm

tim pruitt wrote:
I replaced my dash with a fiberglass dash and AutoMeter gauges because I wanted more gauges to assist with on track and off track diagnostics (water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, transaxle temp, fuel presssure, air/fuel ratio, fuel level, tachometer and voltmeter) and I wanted it to look good too. Did I spend too much? Probably, but that is a personal choice.

I have seen 944's with this conversion and they look great. Nothing wrong with making your race car look good.

cup944@aol.com

Wed May 26, 2010 8:37 am

Q: Can rain gutters be removed?

A: No.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:16 am

Q: Can door handles be removed and handle pocket be filled in?

cup944@aol.com

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:15 pm

Director wrote:
Q: Can door handles be removed and handle pocket be filled in?

The rules say the car must be stock unless stated otherwise. Door handles and the pocket are stock and the rules do not allow for a change.

PCA officials came to me this week with this issue because of a car they saw at Sebring. Their interpretation was that such mods are not allowed. I agreed and that is how the issue will be administered.

cup944@aol.com

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:13 pm
Rookie Driver

I didnt realize that 944 Cup rules were inbodied in the PCA "Stock Class Rules". Does'nt seem that way with PCA taking 944 Cup Rules as is and listed by themselves. If not ,there's lot of issues with both sets of rules which you must follow, if you get my drift. Its either PCA rules or Cup rules ?? :?

Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:38 am
Profile WWW

ernie 914 wrote:
I didnt realize that 944 Cup rules were inbodied in the PCA "Stock Class Rules". Does'nt seem that way with PCA taking 944 Cup Rules as is and listed by themselves. If not ,there's lot of issues with both sets of rules which you must follow, if you get my drift. Its either PCA rules or Cup rules ?? :?

The origin of the Cup rules are with the PCA Stock and Prepared class rules and the SCCA ITS rules. That has never changed in the history of the series. The idea was to attract 944's from those classes to race in the Cup series as they they run in those classes.

From that base we have made modifications that we thought made sense for racing 944's. And, we have followed PCA's and SCCA's approach that unless the rules say you can, then you can't.

In the case of the door handles, the Cup rules do not say you can remove the handles or fill in the handle pocket, so you can't.

All drivers would be well served to check with me anytime they are making any changes to their car that is not explicitly allowed in the Cup rules. Cup does not charge for asking questions. Otherwise be prepared to undo the changes at your own time and/or expense.

cup944@aol.com

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next