View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
Q&A -- Body Parts 
Driver

You have to remember to read the first section of the Cup rules that modifies the SCCA or PCA rules. If you run the car in an SCCA event as an ITS car with no dash it would be illegal.
9.c
Gauges and instruments may be added, replaced, or removed.
They may be installed in the original instrument(s) location
using a mounting plate(s), or any other location using a secure
method of attachment. Other than modifications made to
mount instruments and provide for roll cage installation, the
remainder of the dash “board” or panel shall remain intact.

(from the 2010 SCCA GCR) Greg F

Tue May 11, 2010 5:31 pm
Profile WWW

GregF wrote:
...... If you run the car in an SCCA event as an ITS car with no dash it would be illegal... Greg F

Greg: Some of the scca regions back East have set up separate classes using the 944 Cup rules. Any successful in pursuing that option in the NW?

cup944@aol.com

Wed May 12, 2010 4:04 pm
Driver

I have not pursued running the full Cup rules here. With so few PCA races and so many SCCA races it makes more sense to build to SCCA rules. I still believe that the modified PCA/Cup rules are too liberal and thus too expensive for a car with 144hp. I think if racers want fiberglass noses and remote reservoir dampers they will just race a 911.
We will have 11 cars at the upcoming #2 race...a 50% gain from this time last year, because racers can easily afford these cars and still feel like they have value. They can go anywhere in the country and race as an SCCA IT car. I am sure that we will eventually get sufficient numbers to run whatever rule set we would like with any sanctioning body we like, but until then I believe that the SCCA prepared cars make more sense to build and race. Greg F

Wed May 12, 2010 6:19 pm
Profile WWW

GregF wrote:
I have not pursued running the full Cup rules here. With so few PCA races and so many SCCA races it makes more sense to build to SCCA rules. I still believe that the modified PCA/Cup rules are too liberal and thus too expensive for a car with 144hp. I think if racers want fiberglass noses and remote reservoir dampers they will just race a 911.
We will have 11 cars at the upcoming #2 race...a 50% gain from this time last year, because racers can easily afford these cars and still feel like they have value. They can go anywhere in the country and race as an SCCA IT car. I am sure that we will eventually get sufficient numbers to run whatever rule set we would like with any sanctioning body we like, but until then I believe that the SCCA prepared cars make more sense to build and race. Greg F

The SCCA regions that added 944 Cup classes here in the East didnt do so because of the prevalence of PCA races, but rather because of the number of 944's that the 944 Cup format attracted. The same reason PCA added 944 Cup classes.

When we started the Cup, 944's racing in SCCA here were not competitive in ITS including those cars that were spending much more on engines and trannies then is currently needed to be competitive in Cup. Despite all its shortcomings, the Cup became a more attractive format for ITS 944's, evidence most recently by SCCA adding Cup classes. The flexibility in the Cup rules is one of the reasons the series has been able to bring together bigger fields of 944's then either in PCA Stock and Prepared classes or SCCA in ITS. The Cup classes in SCCA also allow a 944 to win every race vs struggling in mid pack in ITS, a feature that caters to the 944 model. A dedicated 944 class and series just attracts more 944's.

Have the numbers of 944's in the NW jumped 50% because of the ITS rules or because the drivers have a chance to win a race or championship in a 944 only race series? And, would even more 944's race be inclined to race in the series if they had a chance to win or podium in a 944 only SCCA class?

Just some things to ponder.

cup944@aol.com

Thu May 13, 2010 1:20 pm
Driver

I am in complete agreement that the reason for the growth of the NWC is the opportunity to race 944's. I do not think we would be growing as much in this economy if I add $10K in remote reservoir dampers, 8/9" wheels, Plastic front and rear bodywork, carbon fiber dashboards, etc. to the $10 to $15K it already costs to build a car now. I think it is a good goal to have a 944 Cup race group as early as next year here and eagerly await the leveling of the rules so the existing racers don't have to spend that money to stay competitive. Greg F

Fri May 14, 2010 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

I live in Portland, OR. This:
GregF wrote:
I am in complete agreement that the reason for the growth of the NWC is the opportunity to race 944's.
and the relatively low cost is why I'm interested. Those two pieces are why I'm not just trying to build a track car now, but working towards a cup car (hopefully it will be done and I'll be ready next year).

Fri May 14, 2010 1:19 am
Rookie Driver

I realize the SCCA GCR specifies that i run a dash board but i was unsure whether it has to be the factory one.

Considering a Porsche dash is gonna be pricey and a fiber glass dash in only $200 and the weight loss is negligible i don't see any reason why per the SCCA we couldn't run aftermarket dash boards.

any ideas??

-Mike M

Mon May 17, 2010 6:19 pm
Rookie Driver

colganc wrote:
GregF wrote:
I am in complete agreement that the reason for the growth of the NWC is the opportunity to race 944's.
and the relatively low cost is why I'm interested. Those two pieces are why I'm not just trying to build a track car now, but working towards a cup car (hopefully it will be done and I'll be ready next year).

Stop by our paddock at rose cup... we are hard to miss!

Mon May 17, 2010 8:47 pm

colganc wrote:
GregF wrote:

In part, changes we have made to the scca and pca rules in developing Cup rules was to remove some of the "dumb" stuff like being required to maintain the stock interior like carpert and dash, etc. Could never get the point of making racers keep this stuff in the car. If u can get scca in yur locale to accept the Cup classes, as done by some scca regions here in the East, you could move past the ITS rules and make changes like the dash.

cup944@aol.com

Tue May 18, 2010 8:53 am
Driver

I have a couple of stock dashboards for a late 944....$50. For the most part the cars come with one, so the only "dumb" part would be purchasing one of the poorly made fiberglass ones and then spending 6 to 8hrs trying to make it fit and mount safely. The idea of the stock dash panel in IT was #1, to protect the drivers hands, etc, in a bad crash. And #2 to avoid the expense of changing it for something that is not functionally any better. If you have an early 944 just buy one of the inexpensive dash covers and install that instead. In SCCA Speed World Challenge there is a specific allowance to replace the dash with a replica, I see no such provision in the GCR. I just put a Getty carbon dash in an Enduro 944S2 I am building and it was the most poorly made POS I have ever paid money for. I would say that I am in it 6 to 7hrs of welding in mounts and supports, trimming, fitting and installing switches and such. I did it to save weight, not $ and now I think it didnt save very much at all. Greg F

Tue May 18, 2010 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next