View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
944 Rules Changes for 2014/Super Cup Weights 

Should the minimum weights be lowered by 50 lbs for all Super Cup models for 2014?
Poll ended at Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:39 pm
1) Yes 100%  100%  [ 4 ]
2) No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

944 Rules Changes for 2014/Super Cup Weights 
Rookie Driver

Director wrote:
Proposed SC weights as provided to PCA.

That's a bit different than just 50 pounds off of everyone. 2450 for an S, gadzooks! That'll be tough.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:35 am

67King wrote:
Director wrote:
Proposed SC weights as provided to PCA.

That's a bit different than just 50 pounds off of everyone. 2450 for an S, gadzooks! That'll be tough.

These are minimum weights so the car is not required to be at the designated weight, so it will not be a hardship for any driver choosing the 944S.

The 944S is the car model disadvantaged with its legal HP limit potential. Hopefully giving the model a lower weight, the car can become competitive.

Other models were rounded up or down to the nearest 100 lbs with the intention of making it easier on techs to remember and get right.

cup944@aol.com

Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:44 am
Rookie Driver

My Karl Poeltl built 91 S2 weighs over 2800 with me in it and an 1/8th tank of gas, and it is stripped except for some wiring and the dash. Getting any more significant weight out of it is going to be quite time consuming. From what I can tell, my 91 weighs roughly 100lbs more than the equivalent 1989/90 car. Don't know if it was built that way, and if not, no idea why it weighs more.

Anyhow, there obviously needs to be a larger weight disparity to lessen the up and coming 968 dominance, and barring simply upping their weight and leaving the rest alone (it would be easier for a handful of 968's to add a 100 lbs in ballast than hundreds of cars to strip out their dash's ;) ) I guess I need to start stripping my dash out over the winter....

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:16 am

jfoulds wrote:
My Karl Poeltl built 91 S2 weighs over 2800 with me in it and an 1/8th tank of gas, and it is stripped except for some wiring and the dash. Getting any more significant weight out of it is going to be quite time consuming. From what I can tell, my 91 weighs roughly 100lbs more than the equivalent 1989/90 car. Don't know if it was built that way, and if not, no idea why it weighs more.

Anyhow, there obviously needs to be a larger weight disparity to lessen the up and coming 968 dominance, and barring simply upping their weight and leaving the rest alone (it would be easier for a handful of 968's to add a 100 lbs in ballast than hundreds of cars to strip out their dash's ;) ) I guess I need to start stripping my dash out over the winter....

Anyone having trouble getting to the minimum should give Ernie a call at Mantisport:

ernie 914 wrote:
No problem getting down to 2700 lbs. Ran ballast to run 2750 lbs.

The NA 944's get down into the low 2600's, some upper 2500's, with a driver and without removing the dash. But they have been working on the how to for a lot longer. The weight is there to get out. You will be please at the improved handling of the car as you drop the weight. Well worth the time.

cup944@aol.com

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:28 am
Driver

No question, these cars respond nicely to weight reductions, and tires and brakes last longer as well.
But I can't see getting my S2 down to that limit either, unless I replace a lot of sheet metal with fiberglass.
I'm 100 over this year's weight, with only the dash to gut as my last resource.

Some one once posted a list of items and their corresponding weights, I wonder if that's still out there?

SuperCup #57, National Champion 2011 and 2012
www.frankcelenza.com/racing.php

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

Anyone having trouble getting to the minimum should give Ernie a call at Mantisport:

ernie 914 wrote:

Ernie, just for the heck of it, what did you remove to get the last 50-100 lbs out?

Obviously all the major stuff has been done on my car, ac - gone, heater matrix - gone, rear hatch - lexan, windshield - lexan, headlights & motors - gone, interior trim and headliner - gone, windows and motors, slides - gone, fiberglass hood. I can probably remove another 100 pounds - but at this point, i'm just saying it just isn't "easy", particularly on my '91 for some reason. Taking the dash out isn't "easy", it's a lot of man hours.

Have you stripped off all of your underseal, etc. (because that isn't "easy")?

As I mentioned, I have compared my car to similar prepared cars, and mine appears to weigh more. Dave or anyone else know if the 91 weighed more for some reason? I would love to find a "no problem" way to lose a 100 lbs!!!!

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:53 am

DrFranz wrote:
No question, these cars respond nicely to weight reductions, and tires and brakes last longer as well.
But I can't see getting my S2 down to that limit either, unless I replace a lot of sheet metal with fiberglass.
I'm 100 over this year's weight, with only the dash to gut as my last resource.

Some one once posted a list of items and their corresponding weights, I wonder if that's still out there?

Try sawing off some of that air plane wing on the back of your car, the foot wide splitter, braces and brackets. And get rid of the right side mirror. And, I haven't even seen the inside of the car or underneath. ;)

cup944@aol.com

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:06 pm

jfoulds wrote:

ernie 914 wrote:

Ernie, just for the heck of it, what did you remove to get the last 50-100 lbs out?

Obviously all the major stuff has been done on my car, ac - gone, heater matrix - gone, rear hatch - lexan, windshield - lexan, headlights & motors - gone, interior trim and headliner - gone, windows and motors, slides - gone, fiberglass hood. I can probably remove another 100 pounds - but at this point, i'm just saying it just isn't "easy", particularly on my '91 for some reason. Taking the dash out isn't "easy", it's a lot of man hours.

Have you stripped off all of your underseal, etc. (because that isn't "easy")?

As I mentioned, I have compared my car to similar prepared cars, and mine appears to weigh more. Dave or anyone else know if the 91 weighed more for some reason? I would love to find a "no problem" way to lose a 100 lbs!!!!

I must say you have done an awful lot to drop weight. Hopefully Ernie will shed some light on what he did to his S2.

We are far along on the weights for 2014. Input from drivers has been minimal as you can see from the poll results above, and the topic has been out there quite some time before we sent the chart to PCA.

I cringe evertime I see those 50 lb weights bolted to the floor of these cars, so adding ballast to the 968 at this point is such an unattractive option with the car already being 2900 lbs. But, if we see the 968 dominates this coming year, it will be reconsidered, along with other options to slow down that model. Before Daytona, the 968 has never shown itself as the can't beat model, as the S2 has won more championships in the series than any other model.

cup944@aol.com

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:25 pm
Driver

hahaha, thanks for the suggestions, DD!
Mirrors are gone, wing is negligable, as are other aero bits.
Besides, they're worth their weight purely for intimidation!
I think 50 off the driver will be the most cost efficient way to go!

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Driver

I might be inclined to agree with you, DD, that the 968 is not necessarily the dominant model.
I've had many very evenly matched races against a few of them.
I think it may have just been a matter of "horses for courses", Daytona being a top speed requiring circuit, and the 968 has that one little advantage.
Of course, I wasn't there, so can't say for sure, but I sensed going in that my car (S2) would not be the hot ticket there.

Then again, if you are considering handicapping the 968, by all means you have my full support!

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next