View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
2014 Rules Changes for Super Cup for Wheels, Tires, Flares 

Should Super Cup cars be limited in how wide the car can get?
Poll ended at Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:48 pm
1) Yes, and do so by limits to the wheel size 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
2) Yes, and do so by limits to fender flaring? 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
3) No, leave the rules as is with no limits on wheel size or fender flaring. 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

2014 Rules Changes for Super Cup for Wheels, Tires, Flares 
Rookie Driver

Ok , 1.5" flares, I will show you , later how to do that , pictures posted once 944Cup decides what is going to be the rules. Bascially we have done this on mike mallais 944 super car, 3 years ago. You cut the fender top at the top outside edge of the fender and add what ever width increase you want. You can still use the the stock front turbo bumper as it will pull out. the rear is the same method, just need to taper in the flares at rear fr/r stock rear bumper width is used. Or buy the flares from GT. :o

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Driver

There GT cars out there that don't race because the PCA rules slant heavily towards the 911s. I hardly think 315s and 11 inch rears will bring in a bunch of wild cars. Don't forget they still have to abide by the rest of the class rules, including use of the DME, weight and horsepower limits etc.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:33 am
Driver

2 inch flares are already on some cars including one I may build for next year. I see no real point in going to 1 1/2.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:38 am
Rookie Driver

I am just saying you could do just 1.5", 2" fine by me. Just say then, max flare is the gt bolt flares 944 or 986 ones. 5" max flare however you do it is up to you.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:01 am
Profile WWW

Hey guys, my years of doing this stuff has taught me that backing up on rules has a real risk associated with the practice. I have seen to many other series be seriously hurt but making once legal mods no longer legal. When drivers spend money on legal mods that are later determined to be illegal they take it personal. Also hurts the credibility of the series as a whole.

As for migration, the Cup was built on that protocol. We originally designed the rules to encourage cars from SCCA, PCA and NASA to migrate to the series. Migration continues to be important to the series, and that is especially true with Super Cup.
The reason that class has experienced growing numbers in the last 18 months is migration from PCA's E, F and GT classes and NASA's GTS classes. This has happened with rules that allow flaring, unlimited wheel and tire sizes.

The series was built on bringing in one car at a time. We continue to do that. If we can bring in 3 cars from GT classes with putting the existing cars at a measurable disadvantage. then its a win. In this case we are backing up the rules to place limitations on tires in a way that allows new cars to still get in the game while not hurting the cars now racing. Everyone racing in the class this past year got in knowing (or should have known)there was no limit on flares, wheels and tires. That we now want to place limits that dont hurt those existing drivers is fair and advisable for the future of the class. Flared fenders showed up at Nationals this year and I have seen them for many years.

If we limit the tires and spacers, we limit the practical width of the rim to be used which in turn limits the practicality of how wide the flares will be. Plus tire sizes are very easy to check and get right.

We absolutely must allow at least a tire that will allow the use of a 11 inch rim because this rim is legal in the PCA E and F Prepared cars which is the main source of new cars for the class. If we use the 305 limit we in effect limit most of the field to the 295 who use Hoosiers, while still allowing driver who want to save some to buy the 305 off brand and still allow them to use their 12 inch rims. Its the best compromise, keeping in mind there is no perfect solution.

cup944@aol.com

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:41 am
Rookie Driver

Dave, sound great to me, 11"s and 305's.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 pm
Profile WWW

ernie 914 wrote:
Dave, sound great to me, 11"s and 305's.

That's a yes for 305's. No limit on wheel size.

cup944@aol.com

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:26 pm
Driver

Who makes 305 17 or 18 inch race tires? Hoosier - NO BFG - NO Goodyear - NO.The only ones I found are Toyo R888 and I don't think anyone wants to run them. It seems strange to pick a tire size that is generally not available. Please reconsider 315s, which all of the manufacturers make and do fit on 11 inch rims. Ernie, what's you point?

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:48 pm

johntorg wrote:
Who makes 305 17 or 18 inch race tires? Hoosier - NO BFG - NO Goodyear - NO.The only ones I found are Toyo R888 and I don't think anyone wants to run them. It seems strange to pick a tire size that is generally not available. Please reconsider 315s, which all of the manufacturers make and do fit on 11 inch rims. Ernie, what's you point?

I am not clear why it is important to Super Cup have the 315's.

cup944@aol.com

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:33 pm
Driver

Because 305s are only available from one vendor and the the 888 is not a very good tire. So the rule is really saying 285 or 295. 315s are available from almost all tire manufacturers, with the price differential from 285s being minimal. 315 fit on 10 - 11 inch rims, which most of the SuperCup cars already have. I guess I'm also saying that 305 is a strange choice, due to its very limited availability. Choosing 315s will not bring wild and crazy GT cars into SuperCup because those cars are using 335s on 12 inch or wider rims, and the other SP3 restrictions will keep them out.

It may allow more modest GT cars which are no longer competitive to be re configured as SP3 cars. We had a clear example of such a car running at Daytona with 315s all around, finishing 7th and 8th in the sprint races. 2013 was a great season for SuperCup, operating without these tire restrictions. While I support some limitation on Tires, I sincerely believe that the 315 is a much better choice.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next