View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
2014 Rules Changes for Super Cup for Wheels, Tires, Flares 

Should Super Cup cars be limited in how wide the car can get?
Poll ended at Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:48 pm
1) Yes, and do so by limits to the wheel size 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
2) Yes, and do so by limits to fender flaring? 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
3) No, leave the rules as is with no limits on wheel size or fender flaring. 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

2014 Rules Changes for Super Cup for Wheels, Tires, Flares 

johntorg wrote:
Because 305s are only available from one vendor and the the 888 is not a very good tire. So the rule is really saying 285 or 295. 315s are available from almost all tire manufacturers, with the price differential from 285s being minimal. 315 fit on 10 - 11 inch rims, which most of the SuperCup cars already have. I guess I'm also saying that 305 is a strange choice, due to its very limited availability. Choosing 315s will not bring wild and crazy GT cars into SuperCup because those cars are using 335s on 12 inch or wider rims, and the other SP3 restrictions will keep them out.

It may allow more modest GT cars which are no longer competitive to be re configured as SP3 cars. We had a clear example of such a car running at Daytona with 315s all around, finishing 7th and 8th in the sprint races. 2013 was a great season for SuperCup, operating without these tire restrictions. While I support some limitation on Tires, I sincerely believe that the 315 is a much better choice.

The reason for the limitation discussed in this poll/thread,proposed rule change is to help keep the cost down where we can while not minimizing the negative impact on the size of the field and encouraging other drivers to join. Allowing 315's would increase the cost some while not adding any cars to the field that I know of.

My preference is really to limit the tire to 295 which still allows the use of the 11 inch wheel allowed in the other pca stock/prepared classes like E and F. While the likelihood of bringing over GT cars to SC is minimal, to give GT cars an option to join SC if they desire and keep using their 12 inch rims, the 305's do provide an alternative. Maybe not the very best alternative, but one they can can choose if they want to keep using their 12 inch rims, just as I have heard from 3 GT racers I have been communicating with think the 305 options works.

cup944@aol.com

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:36 am
Driver

Dave, I give up. Makes no sense to me.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:44 am

Once again I thank everyone for their input. Rule making can be a painful process but in the end it does help me reach what I think is the best compromise. Rarely will all agree with changes, but after 13 years of doing this, I end up trusting my experience for what makes sense for the series as a whole. If I am wrong, I change it next year.

cup944@aol.com

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:42 am

The proposed wheel spacer limit will be 1.5 inches front or rear made of steel or aluminum and from any source.

cup944@aol.com

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:21 am

On the term fender flaring, Cup will interpret flaring the same as PCA for their Prepared classes, i.e.to include only as much as needed to keep from rubbing the tire, and not a full rear fender replacement changing the shape of other parts.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:53 pm
Driver

Actually add-on flares change the shape more than full fenders. Will this apply to front fenders also?

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:05 pm
Driver

These are the ones I'm talking about. They have been run on SP3 cars in the past. https://www.gt-racing.com/products-page/924944951-parts/944-turbo-wide-body-front-fenders/

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 pm

johntorg wrote:
Actually add-on flares change the shape more than full fenders. Will this apply to front fenders also?

To date PCA has been applying this rule differently yours John as cars currently running add ons have not had any trouble with tech.

And yes, the rule applies to front and rear.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:16 am

johntorg wrote:
These are the ones I'm talking about. They have been run on SP3 cars in the past. https://www.gt-racing.com/products-page/924944951-parts/944-turbo-wide-body-front-fenders/

I would consider these as not legal. They are not flares but rather wider fenders, there is a difference.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:18 am

Director wrote:
johntorg wrote:

To date PCA has been applying this rule differently that your interpretation John as cars currently running add ons have not had any trouble with tech.

And yes, the rule applies to front and rear.

cup944@aol.com

Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next