View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
2.7l 
Rookie Driver

Ok Dave,
So my question is a 2.7 l legal in a 924s ? as I see the rules I think not:

8.1 “Stock” Allowed Modifications
All vehicles in “Stock” must use factory stock parts (OEM) from one of the eligible year models, except where otherwise
noted in these rules or required by the safety rules of the sanctioning body holding the event. Stock parts may be updated
or backdated for that model, except where otherwise noted. Stock replacement parts may be obtained from sources other
than the manufacturer provided they are the exact equivalent of the original parts (OEM equivalent). Any modifications not specifically allowed elsewhere in these rules are not permitted.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:46 pm
Driver

Robbie I agree with your interpretation. It makes sense that a 2.7 was never offered in a 924S and should not be legal. Yes it would have to meet the 2.7 weight disadvantage but it would have a huge aero advantage especially with the horsepower and torque of a 2.7. I'm guessing that the next thought is a 'wide body' modification of a 924S.....but how wide? The wide body rules for a 924S only speak to a maximum width with no minimums. This is only my .02 cents worth of opinion.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:32 pm
Rookie Driver

Bill.... I would ban 2.7 's altogether.... the question was asked to me by a customer and you can clearly see at most tracks the 2.7 is an advantage even with the 150 pounds of extra wieght often beating super cup cars. With the abundance of 2.5 engines around and the rarity of 2.7 just doesn't make since to me. Reclass them in sp3-super cup. I think for the "cup class" it should only be 2.5L engines to keep the racing close and fun.....

Don't crucify me......just a thought

Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:30 am
Driver

Provost wrote:
Bill.... I would ban 2.7 's altogether.... the question was asked to me by a customer and you can clearly see at most tracks the 2.7 is an advantage even with the 150 pounds of extra wieght often beating super cup cars. With the abundance of 2.5 engines around and the rarity of 2.7 just doesn't make since to me. Reclass them in sp3-super cup. I think for the "cup class" it should only be 2.5L engines to keep the racing close and fun.....

I wouldn't be against a change like this. Nothing against the 2.7l guys. They're generally good people. ;)

2008 MA Championship 10th
2009 MA Championship T-13th
2010 MA Championship 4th
2011 North Championship 5th
2012 North Championship 4th
2013 North Championship 1st

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:23 am

Provost wrote:

That horse has left the barn long long ago.

When we began the Cup series, the idea was to attract large fields of front end Porsche's from anywhere and everywhere, and in almost any configuration possible. That's how the series was built. It's who we were and still try to be for the most part. We want to be inclusive, not exclusive like other spec series who dictated part numbers on shocks, manifolds, and bushings. So, never did we ever think to exclude a 944 with 2.7L engine, or a 924S with a 2.7L engine for that matter.

There was a day in the series when 2.7's were prominent and thought to be the motor to have. Many of the best drivers had them. A reflex reaction was to to dump more and more weight in them each year till they were pushed off the podium. Than we saw a reversal and many of the top drivers went to 2.5's. This is evidenced by the fact that a 2.7 motor has not won a National Championship since 2007, with not a National podium finish in any of the years between then and now. In fact it was thought they were so disadvantaged, we started taking weight back out of them settling finally on 150 lbs more than the 2.5.

Is a 2.7 motor legal in a 924S? The interpretation of the existing rules is yes. Logic being we have forever during the history of the series tried to place the 924S on a level playing field with the 944. And I say tried because a 924S has never won a National Championship. Like with the 944, we have allowed the 924S to employ fender flares to allow for wider wheels such as fit on the 944. We have allowed for the 924S to use the 944 rear spoiler. We have always considered the either the 2.5 or 2.7 to be allowed in the Cup class in either the 944 and 924S as long as the higher minimum weight was applicable.

While I have never heard anyone previously suggest the 924S should not be able to use the 2.7L, I can see the gray area in the rules and will make the needed clarification in the 2014 rules.

Thanks for bringing up the question.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:26 pm

At this year's Nationals at Daytona, we saw a definite domination of the event by cars running the 2.7. Clear was that on a track with a long long straight that this motor has an advantage. We will continue to watch the performance comparison in 2014 and if need be make a mid season weight change if justified that would add to the spread between the two motor sizes.

cup944@aol.com

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:02 am
Rookie Driver

From past history I can see a 2.7 being an advantage at Daytona and at the Glenn. But a well prepared 2.5l with a good driver on a "drivers track" beats a 2.7 every time. With that in mind the power to wieght ratio for a 2.5l with 2600 pounds is 18.05 and a 2.7l with 2750 is 18.33....very close. I dont think more weight is the answer vs a better compliance check for legality....

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:49 am

Provost wrote:
From past history I can see a 2.7 being an advantage at Daytona and at the Glenn. But a well prepared 2.5l with a good driver on a "drivers track" beats a 2.7 every time. With that in mind the power to wieght ratio for a 2.5l with 2600 pounds is 18.05 and a 2.7l with 2750 is 18.33....very close. I dont think more weight is the answer vs a better compliance check for legality....

And drivers as a group and pca members can have more influence on PCA techs doing more checks. I am only one voice with no direct control over what pca decides to check. Like most club racing organizations they are limited by manpower and equipment.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:59 pm
Rookie Driver

I agree Dave...I was watching the spec e30 race with NASA the other day and it was a great race top 4 cars battled 15 laps to the end. Spoke with one of the drivers after and they said no one could
bend the rules as they all police each other. What a great place to be....hope that all of us as a group can get to that place

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:24 am
Rookie Driver

I also agree. We need to make a voices heard to PCA. How many times have we raced, qualified, or just practices that move us up the grid were they ever even do a random weight check !

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next