View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Q & A -- Engine Components 

Just some clarifications on the rules relating to engine components:

Question: Are non-OEM alkernators and starters permitted?
Answer: In the intereste of expense and weight reduction, we are allowing aftermarket alternators and starters even if not originally designed for the 944. We see no performance advantage.

As I understand, alternators for the saturn SL 1, 88-89 cavalier , 96 camaro 5.7l will fit with about 10 minutes work to make them fit, a bit of grinding between the mounting ears, clearance between bracket and alternator and you need to drill out the back mounting hole.

cup944@aol.com

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:27 am

Q: Can any Turbo engine parts be used in a normally aspirated engine ?

A: We have allowed 944 Turbo engine parts to be used for reliability and availability reasons in some instances where the parts provide no performance advantage, including Turbo connecting rods and Turbo cylinder heads.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:23 am
Driver

I believe turbo valve springs are pretty commonly used.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:16 am

johntorg wrote:
I believe turbo valve springs are pretty commonly used.

Yes, good point John. Turbo valve springs is this allowed category.

cup944@aol.com

Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:38 am
Driver

I am pretty sure that no one on this subject has installed a 951 head onto a 944. A 951 head with the ceramic knocked out of the exhaust port is good for 20 plus HP. It would not be allowed under IT prep or PCA stock/prepared rulesets, so why would there be a special allowance made here? Greg F

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Driver

Would the Turbo intake manifold be allowed as well under the same assumption that it would be reliable and available? I think the groups interests would be much better served by allowing 951 cranks, con rods and valve springs and not allowing the parts that most certainly raise the performance of the car and are no more available than the standard O.E. parts. Greg F

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:24 pm
Profile WWW

GregF wrote:
Would the Turbo intake manifold be allowed as well under the same assumption that it would be reliable and available? I think the groups interests would be much better served by allowing 951 cranks, con rods and valve springs and not allowing the parts that most certainly raise the performance of the car and are no more available than the standard O.E. parts. Greg F

Engine builders I have spoke with see no measurable difference with the turbo head. Have not heard of any availbility or reliability issues with intake manifolds -- non consumable item.

cup944@aol.com

Thu May 20, 2010 8:04 am
Rookie Driver

I have talked to John Milledge about using a turbo head on a na motor and he indicated as Greg does that there is a lot of HP that can be gained that way.We did not talk about particulars like breaking out the ceramic.But he made it sound as if it were better in stock configuration.This is easy to check by looking at the part number.It should not be legal.Forged turbo rods are much heavier than cast na rods so I am sure they probably lose HP in favor of longevity.

Thu May 20, 2010 4:03 pm

spoiler wrote:
I have talked to John Milledge about using a turbo head on a na motor and he indicated as Greg does that there is a lot of HP that can be gained that way. We did not talk about particulars like breaking out the ceramic. But he made it sound as if it were better in stock configuration.

Cant gain much from your exchange with Miledge as it lacks particulars. Greg spoke of gaining power by modifying the turbo head. Performance gains with the NA head can also he had by modifying, but that's not what's on the table.

spoiler wrote:
Forged turbo rods are much heavier than cast na rods so I am sure they probably lose HP in favor of longevity.

Not true, neligble difference in weight.

cup944@aol.com

Thu May 20, 2010 5:33 pm

GregF wrote:
I am pretty sure that no one on this subject has installed a 951 head onto a 944............

I think the groups interests would be much better served by allowing 951 cranks, con rods and valve springs .............. It would not be allowed under IT prep or PCA stock/prepared rulesets, so why would there be a special allowance made here? Greg F

I'm not sure at all that a Turbo head hasnt been used on a 944 in the series. Not something we ever checked for.

Are turbo rods and cranks, oil scrapers, windage trays, removal of the car interior, A/C and heating system, head lamps, etc. etc. allowed under IT and PCA rulesets? Does PCA and IT have HP and torque requirements that the monitor wwith use of dynos? We use much of the rules of scca and pca but Cup rules are not identical. We makes changes to pca and scca rules when we think it makes sense in an effort to build field sizes, level the playing field, make it easier to field a car, and allow drivers to tinker with their cars.

During the course of the 9 years of the series, we continue to make changes we think make racing a 944 better. It's not a perfect system or ruleset, but hopefully we make more good decisions then bad ones based on the data we can collect.

cup944@aol.com

Thu May 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next