View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Spec Tire Manufacturer 

Is a spec tire manufacturer desirable for the Cup series?
Poll ended at Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:05 pm
1) Yes 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
2) No 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10

Spec Tire Manufacturer 

Provost wrote:
I have been thinking about this for a long time and to be a "true spec class" ...In my opinion…. I would also like to see everyone using the same "size" tire…...

And if this were 30 years ago and I was creating a spec class for the 944's , I would agree with you Robbie. And I would also spec out other parts.

But, by the time the 944 class came about for club racing, i.e. the 944 Cup, there were many variations on car prep throughout the country, with many different parts already in place, racing in several clubs in numerous different classes. The 944 Cup series was founded on the premise to include existing race cars and not to exclude those cars because they were not "stock" or all exactly the same.

Setting tight spec requirements, like a spec tire, would have discouraged many drivers from becoming part of the series and we would not be having this conservation right now because there would be no 944 series or even and all 944 club race class. The 944 Cup was the proof of concept. And the concept was to be inclusive with the intention of gathering up as many of the existing cars being raced in different sanctioning bodies and in different classes. The intention was never to create a "true spec class". Heck, not even a kind of spec class, rather a one Porsche model series for the 944 (later expanded to include all front engine Porsche cars).

We needed to find a way to get these 944 racing against each other, 30 years after being on the road and heading every which way but loose. And, the 944 Cup series was successful in doing this. Look around where ever the Cup has a presence and count the 944's racing in SCCA ITS or ITE, or in PCA stock classes such as B or C. Even in its 13th year, we see the last of holdouts coming to the series from PCA E and F, plus GT cars and cars from NASA GTS classes where the competition has begun to wane.

Other series providing for a place for the 944 to race have directly grew out of the 944 Cup, such as NASA's 944 Spec and GTS classes, as both were started by individuals who decided to break away from the series. But this is the nature of racing. However, neither has been able to sustain the level of success enjoyed by the 944 Cup over the last 13 years, revalidating the proof of concept of the 944 Cup.

So, if I had my choice of starting all over, of course I would come back as George Clooney. But alas, here I am, stuck in the body of Dave Derecola, trying to make the most of it going forward, while it lasts. ;)

cup944@aol.com

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:23 am
Driver

I'm certainly willing to support any tire manufacturer that will support the series and provide a contingency. I've run Hoosiers, Toyos and Hankooks and have no complaints with any, though each has their own positives and negatives. And I've heard good things about the BFGs, and like Dave mentioned, they have a good contingency program with NASA.

However, I caution the use of "spec tire manufacturer" because it tends to allude to a spec size as well. Similar to what Robbie mentioned, to really be spec, we would all have to be running the same size. Yes, I realize this is "technical Tony" type stuff here but you don't want to scare people off with the spec word when it's truly not appropriate/needed.

Oh and had I been checking the forum more of late, I would have voted yes. ;)

2008 MA Championship 10th
2009 MA Championship T-13th
2010 MA Championship 4th
2011 North Championship 5th
2012 North Championship 4th
2013 North Championship 1st

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:04 am

Thanks for the input Bobster. See your point, would hope the idea of free tires would overcome the misconception of a spec tire.

To update, nothing has developed from those manufacturers contacted. And really too late for this year. The big problem is available tires, especially in the 15 inch diameter, other than Hoosier. Hoosier is still considering something for 2014.

cup944@aol.com

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2