View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Cup Class Tire Limit 

Per the 2013 Cup/Stock rules, "Any DOT approved tire is allowed but the manufacturer tire width cannot be greater than 10.1 inches."

Per the 2013 Cup/Prep rules, "Any DOT approved tire that does not exceed 10.3 inches per the manufacturer published specs".

The rule does not specify whether 10.1 inches applies to tread width or section width. This has created some dificulties from a tech standpoint. Additionally, techs do not have ready access to the a manufacturers published tire specs for tire width or section width.

Accordingly a tire limit for the Cup class needs to be revised to enable techs to easily and consistently apply a set standard. The "section width" as printed on the sidewall of the tire is the simpliest way to to set a limit on the tire width and the easiet way for techs to check tire width.

The section width of 245 mm wide tire as printed on the tire sidewall, which will become the limit for the Cup/Stock cars.

The section width of 275 mm wide tire as printed on the tire sidewall, which will become the limit for the Cup/Prep cars.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:01 am
Rookie Driver

Dislike….You can't change the rule every year in the 11th hour on rims and tires after a lot of people spent thousands on there perspective set-up….just saying ;)

Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:25 am

Provost wrote:
Dislike….You can't change the rule every year in the 11th hour on rims and tires after a lot of people spent thousands on there perspective set-up….just saying ;)

The tire width rule needs to be changed to become reasonable to enforce. For anyone in favor of better tech inspections, then this is a move in that direction. As the rule stands, its not being enforced. The rules on rims for the Cup class is not being changed.

The only question is how to change the rule on tire width.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:35 am
Rookie Driver

Do not have a tire width limit. Just limit the rims....This 10.1/10.3 width rule is very miniscule and not worth the fight. A lot of cars are running the 275 set up....in Sebring last year most cars used it. I have spoken to people that tried it and didnt like it though as well. It is more of a preference than an advantage as I have seen cars at NJMP T-Bolt do 134's with 225 tires. Be that as it may "I Like" the 275 set up

I am for a rim width limit but jam what ever "dot" tire you want on it .....

Would also mean that my friends with the 2.7's and 275"s would have to wiegh 2900 pounds...hmmm...

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:50 am
Rookie Driver

Yeah, I'm not a fan of this. I spent a lot of time and energy trying to get my weight down off the 89 chassis. I like how my car handles on 275's and spent the money on the wide rims to support this. So now my choices are to downsize my wheels or bolt another 150 lbs (already have 25) into the passenger compartment. Neither option appeals. Keeping the wheels and tires wouldn't negate the 150 lbs penalty and my view is the other prepared mods aren't worth it either, which I why I have been running stock class. And didn't I read in one of the SC threads on how you hate seeing those weights bolted into the cockpit? I know it would make Robbie happy though ...

#88 1989 944 NA
Tales from the Dark Side of Racing

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:01 am
Profile WWW

Going forward, what's better for the Cup/Stock class, the 245 or the 275?

Pricing shows the 245 would save about $40 per tire over the 275.

The 245 can still be used on the 9 inch rim currently allowed.

The 245 makes it easy for drivers to easily run the same tire and rim all way around, making set up easier and less wheels required, and allows the tires to be rotated front to back.

Going forward, what are the advantages of the 275 that make that size better for the Class?

cup944@aol.com

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:43 pm
Rookie Driver

From what I see the 245 only comes in a 50 series were the 275 has a 35 side wall height. Thus changing the gear ratio. Just saying that more than 1 or 2 cars run the 275 set up and if we are trying to build the series taking that away after racers have been using them for years would piss off a lot of people(more than just Chris and I).....

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:19 pm

Provost wrote:
From what I see the 245 only comes in a 50 series were the 275 has a 35 side wall height. Thus changing the gear ratio. Just saying that more than 1 or 2 cars run the 275 set up and if we are trying to build the series taking that away after racers have been using them for years would piss off a lot of people(more than just Chris and I).....

I don't think Cris said he was pissed off in expressing his thoughts on the subject rule proposal. It's a discussion at this point.

I do obviously understand the need to consider the effect rules changes can have on the current drivers. Its always a delicate balance looking at the present and going forward. Looking for the balance between now and then is the challenge. What keeps the current drivers happy, what makes the series more attractive to drivers who are considering club racing or switching classes?

The Hoosier also comes in P245/40ZR15 which is a great fit for the subject cars and wheels. So drivers would not be required to move down in wheel size from what is currently in use. Plus, they will save money in tire purchases going forward. And, more drivers may be attracted to the series if they dont feel the need to buy wider wheels and can pay a less expensive price for their tires.

My assessment is that the series is clearly better off with a 245 limit when drivers are looking to race in the Cup class. The 245 is a good fit for these cars from a cost standpoint for tires and wheels, with the same size tire on all 4 corners. Would others agree?

And what about the changes will upset the current drivers? Is it that they have 275's on hand from this past season? How can that be addressed? Can the 245 limit be delayed for the effective date til mid season, allowing drivers time to use up what they have on hand?

Cris: have you considered the prospect of needing to go to 275 on all four corners to keep up with the Jones' if we leave the rules as is? That's the likely outcome here going forward. Is it worth the additional cost going forward, or making the change now for future savings?

cup944@aol.com

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:52 pm
Rookie Driver

Director wrote:
Provost wrote:

I don't think Cris said he was pissed off in expressing his thoughts on the subject rule proposal. It's a discussion at this point.

Poor choice of words on my part.....

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:59 pm
Rookie Driver

Well, I would be ticked, maybe not pissed :)

As for going to 275 on all corners I don't think that's in the cards for me. Unfortunately for me, I just don't have a lot of time to go to the track. I have my car setup to where the balance is good, and I'm reasonably fast or at least competitive in it. My car is setup to slightly oversteer and going to much bigger fronts would definitely change that balance. And it would increase my costs just out of pocket and I would have to spend time either working on the new setup or adapting my driving to it - time that if not race time, reduces my races I can go to, or if race time, time spent not being competitive. Plus I'm running 7's up front, 275's won't fit, would have spend money to widen the wheels.

So bottom line, if the rule goes into effect as stated, it becomes an (another) disincentive for participation for me. I won't be doing the LimeRock race to open the season as I'm done with that track for various reasons, so that's another disincentive there also.

#88 1989 944 NA
Tales from the Dark Side of Racing

Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next