View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Cup Class Tire Limit 
Rookie Driver

Chris...I tested the 275 square set up last month at NJMP. Results were the front of the car went were ever you pointed it problem is the rear could not get enough grip to keep up. I spun twice before taking them off. Could I make it to work? Maybe but I dont think it is worth the effort as the car works great as is....

Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:58 pm
Rookie Driver

Well this not good , since I came up with the 275 set-up for the 2008 Cup Championship. Almost every one up here in Canada is setup with 275 rears, that includes Quebec. The numbers of cars are up from 2011-12 so I do not think cost of tires was an issue.I think its a bit late in the game change the tire rule, 2 months before Sebring. It takes 4-6 weeks to order custom wheels, I suggest that Dave , you consider this change for 2015. That way we the racers have time change setup and wheels. Already have tires for Sebring, as you can not have the tires subjected to 30 degree temperature or you get side wall cracking! So I buy tires before it gets cold, even heat the trailer on the way down. This is just way late in the game.

225/275 works just great !

Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

ernie 914 wrote:
225/275 works just great !

I agree, that's my setup also.

#88 1989 944 NA
Tales from the Dark Side of Racing

Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:33 pm
Profile WWW

cris.brady wrote:
Well, I would be ticked, maybe not pissed :)

As for going to 275 on all corners I don't think that's in the cards for me. ......And it would increase my costs just out of pocket and I would have to spend time either working on the new setup or adapting my driving to it - time that if not race time, reduces my races I can go to, or if race time, time spent not being competitive. Plus I'm running 7's up front, 275's won't fit, would have spend money to widen the wheels.

You seem to making my point about the disadvantages to keeping the rules as is, i.e. increase my costs, reducing my races, money to widen wheels.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:36 pm
Rookie Driver

Director wrote:

You seem to making my point about the disadvantages to keeping the rules as is, i.e. increase my costs, reducing my races, money to widen wheels.

No, my point was your comment that I should be moving to 275 on all four corners and implied that the rule changes for force this. If I misunderstood your point that's my fault. If the rules stay the same, I'm not forced to downside my tire choices, buy new wheels, or put weight into the car. The status quo is fine by me. 7 & 9's, 225 & 275's work for me. I've already spent the money, it's sunk costs.

#88 1989 944 NA

Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:01 pm
Profile WWW

ernie 914 wrote:
.............It takes 4-6 weeks to order custom wheels,

why new wheels?

ernie 914 wrote:
The numbers of cars are up from 2011-12 so I do not think cost of tires was an issue

Cost of racing tires has always been a topic of discussion and a concern in the series. There's no way to determine the effect of tire costs on the numbers. i would not presume the cost of tires was not an issue for some drivers and how many races they did or whether some drivers chose another spec class with less expensive tire costs.

ernie 914 wrote:
I suggest that Dave , you consider this change for 2015

Maybe you hit on a solution for going forward, make the tire limit rule effective for 2015.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:23 pm

cris.brady wrote:
Director wrote:

.....If the rules stay the same, I'm not forced to downside my tire choices, buy new wheels, or put weight into the car.

You would be required to downsize at some point (and save money doing so), would not need new wheels, and putting weight in car not required with downsizing of tires.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:29 pm
Rookie Driver

Dave, other that one car, all the cars up here are ready for 2014, ready to go. The car not ready is a bare shell, but by feb 2014, It should done. We need "stable" rules so close to racing season , Sebring is coming up! 2015

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:54 pm
Profile WWW

ernie 914 wrote:
Dave, other that one car, all the cars up here are ready for 2014, ready to go. The car not ready is a bare shell, but by feb 2014, It should done. We need "stable" rules so close to racing season , Sebring is coming up! 2015

The rules are ever evolving in an attempt to improve for both the competition and the officials that are held resposnible for administering the rules. That takes time. We are working our way through it. Thanks for your input.

cup944@aol.com

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:42 pm
Rookie Driver

Dave, if the goal as mentioned earlier is to make it easy to tech, why not leave it at 275 and be done with it.
If the goal is also attract competitors from other series who are cost constrained, well that is what SP1 - also supported by Cup - is for.
I don't understand the rationale for bumping a good number of legal, existing Cup racers into prepared without any empirical data that the bigger tire is worth penalizing 150 lbs. Randy Smith, who cleaned my clock at Nationals 2 years ago, tried the 275s and didn't like them and went back to smaller tires. He was still faster than me.

Quote:
You would be required to downsize at some point (and save money doing so),

That's a false argument. The actual cost of a tire is only part of the cost to go to the track and be competitive. Otherwise we all would be running US General radials. Tire composition, sizing, suspension setup and driver ability are all part of the equation to go fast. Changing one often requires changes to the others, which incur costs.

#88 1989 944 NA

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next