View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Cup Class Tire Limit 

ernie 914 wrote:
.......Almost every one up here in Canada is setup with 275 rears, that includes Quebec.

The guys up in Canada started up their own series last year with their own standings, schedule and rules. Other than you Ernie, have not heard from anyone else up there on the rule changes. Should I be concerned with what is happening with the drivers in Quebec? Has something changed?

cup944@aol.com

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:31 am
Rookie Driver

From our calculations a 275/35 tire on a 9" rim has a tread width of 9.9. Same tire on a 10" rim has a tread width of 10.3 so these tires are legal under current rules if measuring tread width. Also I see the 245/40 on Hoosiers site but I do not see that size listed from any retailers....Further more a 245/50 tire on a 9" rim has a tread width of 9.8 but is 6" bigger in circumference and the 245/40 on the same rim would be 9.2 tread width...so if you are just going to go by what size is on the side wall of the tire vs measuring rim width....this is getting way to complicated for what it is....I have a headache :mrgreen:

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:25 am
Rookie Driver

I agree with Chris and Provost. I express my own opinion, everyone else can post if they feel like it.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

Randy signed on to the Goodyear program and continued to run them through 2013. GY did not have a 275 road ace compound which effectively eliminated that option for us. For 2014, our 9s and 275s were back on the table with Hoosier.... we thought. IMHO, there is enough in the rules as written to differentiate between stock & prep.
Question: at the Glen 2013, what was the split stock vs prep?

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:20 am

ramagar3 wrote:

I don't know and don't think anyone else does either off hand. Cars don't register according to prep level within class.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:30 pm
Rookie Driver

Stock Vs Prepp, I don not think more than afew cars run prepp, WG maybe 2-4 cars.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:59 am
Profile WWW

ramagar3 wrote:
Randy signed on to the Goodyear program and continued to run them through 2013. GY did not have a 275 road ace compound which effectively eliminated that option for us. For 2014, our 9s and 275s were back on the table with Hoosier.... we thought. IMHO, there is enough in the rules as written to differentiate between stock & prep.

Cup/Prep is a classification designed as a catch all for drivers who may have one or two items that would dq them from Cup/Stock. Rather than have them show up at a race and be turned away or bumped up to a GT class, Prep allows they to still race with the series, add to the car count, and have fun. Never thought to be a thee prep level to race at for the best bang for the buck.

As a bit of a history lesson, some of the items now allowed in Prep were once allowed in what is now called the "Stock". At one point during the timeline of the series we made a spit in the prep levels. The "Prep" level gave drivers the option to remove certain non Stock items, or to not spend any more money, add some ballast, and still race with the series. I do not expect and would not want the "Prep" level to be the classification of choice, its too expensive.

In the case of the 275 tire, if someone had some on hand, they could still use them, add some weight, (if needed) and still race with us in Prep. Drivers are given the choice.

Realize than the majority of the field is comprised of cars that get out only a couple times of year, the drivers are there purely getting around and having some fun. They don't take the rules to the max, likely haven't even read the rules, they don't do any testing. They show up with their 944 to get on track, have a beer with their buddies, and just have some fun. They don't care about their lap times, where they finish, or points. The Prep class makes helps ensure they guys have a place to race with us should have some non Stock mods. Should they choose.

cup944@aol.com

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:26 am
Rookie Driver

OK, I'm looking at the guy that sits in the pointy end of #78.... he's there to race and be competitive. This isn't DE after all. He would like nothing more than parody across the field (read "DYNO"). He as well as others have lashed out (within ability) and bought into the rules that allowed the cars to get faster/more comfortable at speed, to be competitive with those that have spent in some cases WAY more. As Cris said, people have spent to achieve their current set up. Cap it at a 275 tire, stock or prep. Like Robbie said, is this going to be worth it in the end? I'm sure 78 will run whatever is decided.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:08 am
Rookie Driver

I guess my biggest question is were is all this coming from? Is someone complaining? Hard for me to swallow this rule change in the 11th hour.... just doesnt make sense to me. Also after reviewing Hoosiers site.... the recomended rim size for the 245/40 tire is 7 to 8.5 that means I have lots of 9" rims that are no good including the 2 sets I just had made for the build in the shop presently. Frustrating to say the least......

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:48 am
Rookie Driver

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but I'll just point to Cris and say, "What he said." Each of his posts echo my thinking. Plus Robbie's question of "where is this coming from?" If, 1) we must downsize the tires, 2) the 245/40 is truly available and 3) they will run just fine on 9" rims, then I vote for a rules change in 2015. I'll use up my stock of 275's and start testing the 245's throughout the year, but still keep my 9" rears.

Steve

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next