View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Aero clarification - wing width and diffuser 
Rookie Driver

Rear wing. Rules state "no wider than the car body panels or extend beyond the maximum factory body length by more than 1 inch."

Looks like I'm picking up a 968 with more body mods than the current Turbo has. So for my own knowledge, as fender flares are now allowed, does the use of fender flares allow for a wing that is now as wide as the flares, or is the intent of the rule to be as the length, specific to the factory body dimension?

Also, I recall seeing a 968 show up with a quite noticable rear diffuser. I've heard second hand he was advised by the scruts to run in SP3, rather than a GT class (but broke down). Are diffusers now legal, or was he advised poorly?

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:02 pm

Good questions, thank.

On the rear diffuser, I will reply presuming you are referring to the stock Rear Lower Wing Diffuser that comes from the factory on the 944 Turbo. The diffuser is not legal for other models in Super Cup for which the diffuser was not available from the factory on it production cars.

On the width of the SP3 rear wing, by rule the wing can be no wider than the car body panels. The intention of the 2014 rule is for the wing to be no wider then the stock width of the car of 68.3 inches, as was the limitation in 2013, before the fender flaring rule was modified to allow for a wider body.

cup944@aol.com

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:14 am
Rookie Driver

Director wrote:
On the rear diffuser, I will reply presuming you are referring to the stock Rear Lower Wing Diffuser that comes from the factory on the 944 Turbo. The diffuser is not legal for other models in Super Cup for which the diffuser was not available from the factory on it production cars.

Thanks, Dave. It was actually a pretty substantial aftermarket one. Not this car, but this style:

Sounds like not only a no, but a heck no! Thanks for clarification on the wing, as well.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:13 pm

67King wrote:
Director wrote:

Thanks, Dave. It was actually a pretty substantial aftermarket one. Not this car, but this style:

Sounds like not only a no, but a heck no! Thanks for clarification on the wing, as well.

The diffuser and wing shown here would not be legal.

cup944@aol.com

Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Ps. The rear valance or diffuser was original equipment for the S2 so this model can also use the subject part.

cup944@aol.com

Thu May 01, 2014 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]