View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Aftermarket wastegate considerations? 
Rookie Driver

Given the somewhat recent change to the rules where chips are free, so long as boost does not exceed a certain amount (12PSI, off of memory), and that a tool to test for boost level is with the scruts, is anyone else of the opinion that the rule about only the stock or Clubgate wastegate being legal somewhat obsolete? Time for a new wastegate, and I know that the LIndsey one is available, but there are two big problems with it. First, it costs almost twice as much as similar aftermarket ones (not knocking what they need to charge for it, it is low volume so it is going to cost a whole lot more to make). Second, it isn't serviceable. So when it inevitably fails, instead of just replacing the diaphragm, we're back to another $440.

Understand in years' past when chips were limited to factory, and there wasn't a way to test boost levels that an aftermarket wastegate could have potentially provided an advantage as it may be able to do so in E/F Stock. But given the current rules, is there a compelling reason I'm missing to not allow better, less expensive, serviceable parts instead?

Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:10 am

The Cup classes followed PCA's lead on aftermarket wastegate, as was the case with the Lindsey part. Cup previously required the stock gate.

And so if PCA makes a change as suggested, we will follow.

ps. the chip change is not recent for SP3, been free for some time.

cup944@aol.com

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:29 pm
Rookie Driver

Director wrote:
The Cup classes followed PCA's lead on aftermarket wastegate, as was the case with the Lindsey part. Cup previously required the stock gate.

And so if PCA makes a change as suggested, we will follow.

My experience is that each sanctioning body defers to the other for matters of rules. Looking ahead to when suggestions are sought. Was trying to initiate some dialogue around whether or not the rule is obsolete. In my opinion, it is. A better, less expensive, and more reliable part that offers no performance advantage that I know of is available. Seems to be a good idea to consider it to me. Was wondering what other people's thoughts were. Won't bother suggesting it when that time comes around if no one else agrees with me.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:30 pm

As PCA does all the tech inspections, we will follow what pca scruts are comfortable looking for in the way of wastegates. If they expand their list of aftermarket gates, so will the 944 Cup classes.

Unfortunately the boost test gauge developed by Eurosport has not been adopted by PCA for use, so measuring max turbo boost remains problematic.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]