View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Aero Clarification - Wings on Sp2/prepared cup cars 
Rookie Driver

Can't find a good answer on this so am posting - if it's already been answered apologies.

1) If I am reading the rules correctly, SP2 (prepared) cars can extend their stock spoilers by up to 6 inches using any materia, or add a 968 style wing single element wing. I get the 968 wing idea, and have seen the extension on the stock spoiler similar to a "Nascar" "blade" type spolier usually using lexan

2) My question is whether or not one can use an actual wing - i.e. supported from car body, not attached to the rubber spolier that is not any higher than the current stock spoiler.

3) how far rearward can the wing (if allowed) or the spoiler extension (i.e. lexan) extend?

In other words, can I use an Sp3 style wing on my Sp 2 car as long as it meets the 6" heigh rule and does not extend beyond the max rearward length?

Thanks,

Matt (getting car back in action for Cup next year)

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:41 pm

Matt Marks..... the long lost prodigal son. Good to hear from you. Rule "iterpretations have been on the decline since you have been gone . :D

The short answer to your questions is that the rules do not allow for a SP3 type wing in SP2.

For those who have not read the SP2/Prep spoiler rule recently, here ya go:

The existing factory spoiler can be extended up 6 inches from the highest point of the factory spoiler. Rearward brackets or braces can be used to support the spoiler extension. The spoiler extension can be made of any material.

The factory spoiler is only comprised of the rear section of the spoiler, and does not include the rubber
trim pieces that extend up the side of the glass hatch.The rubber trim pieces cannot be modified. A stock 968
spoiler or aftermarket replica can be used.

The Cup/SP2/Prep rule is patterned after the PCA "Stock Class Prepared" rule and can be interpreted the same for those familiar with PCA rules. There is no limit on how far rearward the extension can be as long as it does not exceed the height limit.

cup944@aol.com

Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:48 pm
Rookie Driver

THanks Dave - Too much work, not enough play.

Ok - other than that I got a killer deal on a Good Aero wing :twisted: THe following is what got me thinking. In PCA there are two notations about wings

In B stock section:

Quote:
Rear wings may be added. For 911/914/Cayman/Boxster models, the wing may not be any higher, relative to a line parallel to the ground at the maximum height of the roof, than a factory (non-extended) 3.8 RSR wing (10” below roofline). For 924/928/944/968 models, the wing may not be any higher, relative to the roofline, than a factory (non-extended) 968 Turbo S/RS wing (9” below roofline). Wings may not exceed maximum factory body width by any amount, or maximum factory body length by more than 1 inch.

In SP2 Section:

Quote:
3) Rear wing with a single plane may be added. The maximum wing height is 9” below the level horizontal line at the top of the roof.

That's why I was asking about cup accepting the wing. Understand that PCA is it's own rules etc. but wanted to get thoughts.

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:21 pm

See your point Matt. Will be sure the rules read the same for Cup and PCA for 2015. Just an oversight for 2014. The Cup rule per this year will be in use for 2105 and will be applied for the balance of 2014.

MattMarks wrote:
THanks Dave - Too much work, not enough play.

Ok - other than that I got a killer deal on a Good Aero wing :twisted: THe following is what got me thinking. In PCA there are two notations about wings

In B stock section:

Quote:
Rear wings may be added. For 911/914/Cayman/Boxster models, the wing may not be any higher, relative to a line parallel to the ground at the maximum height of the roof, than a factory (non-extended) 3.8 RSR wing (10” below roofline). For 924/928/944/968 models, the wing may not be any higher, relative to the roofline, than a factory (non-extended) 968 Turbo S/RS wing (9” below roofline). Wings may not exceed maximum factory body width by any amount, or maximum factory body length by more than 1 inch.

In SP2 Section:

Quote:
3) Rear wing with a single plane may be added. The maximum wing height is 9” below the level horizontal line at the top of the roof.

That's why I was asking about cup accepting the wing. Understand that PCA is it's own rules etc. but wanted to get thoughts.

cup944@aol.com

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:50 pm

2015 Clarification will also be made the spoiler cannot be wider than the oem spoiler.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]