View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
2015 Rules Proposal: Super Cup Tranny 

Several drivers have come to me asking for the 2015 rules be changed to allow the 968 tranny to be used in any of the models for Super Cup/SP3.

Any comments from anyone currently involved with the 944 Cup series?

cup944@aol.com

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:08 pm
Rookie Driver

Hi , All I feel that since there are very few 968's out there that availabilly of 6 spd trans is difficult at best to find one.Most 968 trans came without a LSD, more cost. Ring and Pinion bearing issue. I am sure after stating that others will find one somewhere. Its my opinion that 968's should have a 6 spd and all others use the 5 spd which the cars came with. Otherwise will cost will increase as we the racers climb over each trying find 6 spd trans. Or we could go the other way and have 968's with 5 spd's. If this type of trend goes on each year, SP3 will be an open run what brung class. The class weights were/are based on using the stock transmission for each model of car. At this time we have good numbers lets not go backwards. Steady rules is what keeps the Class strong at reasonable cost. Look at SP2.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Driver

I am for 5 speed gear box for everyone including 968's ! :twisted:

Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:58 pm
Rookie Driver

Arguments for and against:

Against - As Ernie alluded to, more and more things are allowed, increasing the entry costs more and more to the point of looking like a GT class with a stock engine. Allowing this would only exacerbate the problem.

For - reliability. The 968 gearboxes are supposedly a little more robust than the turbo ones. As it is, turbos are horribly unreliable already. This would be one thing that would help.

Weighing both, I'd lean against. I'd like to see a lot of other things addressed to improve reliability (e.g. the Rogue OEM spec DME, aftermarket wastegate) before the transmission.

I have to wonder how many people asking have charted out how the gearbox would change things.......I'd wager few, as it won't be as big a benefit for many of the cars.

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:34 pm

After the feedback hear and discussions on the subject at Nationals, no plan to implement this proposed rule change.

cup944@aol.com

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]