View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Control Arms 

Have gotten pca to agree that for 944 Cup, and the SP2 and sp 3 classes, the ways the rules will be interpreted is for the allowance of non stock pin lengths for control arms and the rules will be revised next year to clarify. For this season in the SP2 and 3 classes, we interpret the rules to allow a longer pin thru a non stock length, with or without shims.

The inner end links are not permitted to be adjustable for either class. You can use the High Strung arms with adjustable rod ends, however the rod ends need to be made non adjustable, such as tack welding the rod ends in place on the arm.

cup944@aol.com

Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:18 am
Rookie Driver

I assume you're writing about SP2 Stock class? What about tie rod ends? If we can fix roll center problems, we should be able to fix bump steer problems as well...

And a side note, I used the high-strung arms with spherical ball joint bearings and longer pins for a few years. I cracked or broke three pins over the course of that time including one very expensive meeting with Glen Armco. If you're going to run them, I would be sure to ask about whether the pin material has been changed since 2012. The chromoly pins weren't strong enough unless you replace them every few races. In the end, I asked Andy to modify my arms to use stock ball joints. Still using them.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:20 pm

SteveR wrote:
I assume you're writing about SP2 Stock class? What about tie rod ends? If we can fix roll center problems, we should be able to fix bump steer problems as well...

And a side note, I used the high-strung arms with spherical ball joint bearings and longer pins for a few years. I cracked or broke three pins over the course of that time including one very expensive meeting with Glen Armco. If you're going to run them, I would be sure to ask about whether the pin material has been changed since 2012. The chromoly pins weren't strong enough unless you replace them every few races. In the end, I asked Andy to modify my arms to use stock ball joints. Still using them.

As referenced above, both SP2 and 3. Apparently PCA Stock rules only allow for stock length pins, one of the reasons for the clarification even though PCA approved the use of the Racers Edge and High Strung 44 arms, but not in all configurations for Stck PCA classes.

We have not made any changes to the tie rods, must be non adjustable, although you can tack weld the HS44 arms rode ends to be legal in the Cup classes and the rode ends are not required to measure out the same as an OEM arm, just can be adjustable as installed.

Checking with Andy on pin material.

cup944@aol.com

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:40 pm

Andy informs me that extended ball joints are still the same material. He did change the design with a
wider shoulder so the shim stop doesn't shear off any more when ball joints are over tightened.

He decided against stronger material for the ball joint so if you take a hard hit the ball joint will brake.
If he makes them stronger so they don't break with impact, the you spindle and struts get bent or break,
a more expensive repair.

He has also changed the design of the control arms end where the ball joint stud goes in since he built your control arms Steve.
Some other guys had clearance issues with big brake setups. So they now clear big brake kits also.

cup944@aol.com

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]